Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Ford Customline daily driver

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Shane Spencer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I have a glass guy thatll do the windshield install for $100. Ill let him wrestle with it haha.

Critch i had a lead on a clean 50 wheel, havent bought it yet. Waiting for the shaft info first

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Another parts update guys, picked up a 93 cobra t-5 off craigslist for a good deal. Only year cobra trans that has the mechanical speedo output. The sn95 gen mustangs in 94+ went to electronic speedo. Ill snag a few pics tomorrow

3. From what I've been able to find, Ford went to a splined shaft in '49. Mercs and Lincolns still used a tapered and keyed shaft. So the '50 should work on the '54. Again, like I said, if you buy it and it doesn't work, I'd be willing to take it off your hands. The wheel on mine is cracked to pieces.

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cool, thats what ive found as well. Ill let you know if it doesnt work out

5. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

A 54' Customline was my first car. It was mouse grey with a 239 "Y" block and 2-speed automatic. It wasn't fast and it wasn't real pretty but it was always seen cruising the streets of my little town filled with either the cheerleaders or the volleyball team. Good memories.

oliver westlund and Hunter73 like this.
  6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Update ! Work will start within the next two weeks !! So pumped. Stainless Sombrero caps should be here this week. Ordering 15x6 steelies and as of now im planning on 205 75r15 coker whitewalls. Need to sort out my clutch disc and other misc pieces for the t-5 swap as well

The car has developed a hesitation under heavy throttle. Seems more prominent in lower rpm situations. Once the rpms climb it stumbles less. I need to do a full tine up and check timing etc on this thing. Ive done nothing to it except daily drive it since i bought it

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Bit of a scare today. Started tweaking with the mixture screws and then caught hell getting the car fired back up. Ended up getting it sorted out and then realized that the retaining clip that holds the air cleaner bolt wasnt there, ill be damned if i could find it. I dont know that it could even fall down into the carb as its a pretty tight gap to get down through there. Cars running good again, still a hesitation up top slightly, no odd noises and oil pressure looks good. Im assuming if that clip fell in it wouldve immediately made some nasty noises

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Heres the 93 cobra T-5 i snagged off craigslist

IMG_0666.JPG

9. That's awewome! I'm glad you got it all sorted out. I like stock piling my parts then having a hay day...or many days. I'm doing a 302 aod efi swap in my 54. They're sweet cars!

voodookustoms likes this.
  10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Awesome man ! My buddys c10 is coming outta my shop saturday. So the teardown will start then

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Started on the car tonight. Got the drop springs and blocks mocked up in the rear. Its a 3" posies drop leaf with 2" blocks from butchs cool stuff. Looking good so far. Im just mocking things up to see what modifications i need to make to the frame and floor for now. Heres a before and after pic
    IMG_8874.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG

voodookustoms likes this.
  12. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

13. Sweet buddy I'm glad you got time to work on your ride! That looks great! Are you thinking of putting skirts on her?

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Im thinking about it. I just ordered some 15x5 steelies and diamonback radial whitewalls. The sombrero caps should be here this week as well. Ill throw em on and see how i like it without skirts first

15. Where'd you find the Sombrero caps?

16. Looks good....just be ready to do " a little work " to get rear rims and tires off. Hey I might have some skirts if your interested. They are brand new rattle can black. Bud was gonna run em on his 54 but he likes showing off his chrome reverse wheels more.

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yea the rear wheels look like there gonna be a bitch to get off. C notch and tunnel clearance is next

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Hunter i got them from a guy named "olddirtychrome" on instagram. They were posted on one of the hotrod classifieds page. He has like 20 sets, some stainless some chromed. And he will repolish or re chrome them for you as well

19. I'm liking the sneak peak at the rear rims... it's a good look! It'll be awesome to see what the sombreros do for the look also!

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Tore the frontend apart to mockup the aerostar coils and drop spindles from drop n stop em.

IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG

Aerostar coils next to the stockers

IMG_0722.JPG

Drop n stop em spindles/disc conversion mocked up and ride height pics

IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG

Its got a very very light rake backwards which is exactly what i wanted. Sombreros and whitewalls shouod set it off nicely and the springs should settle quite a bit as well

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

After looking at the stance i think the car still needs to come down. I got in touch with drop n stop em and he is cool enough to let me exchange the 1 1/2" spindles for 2 1/2" ones and ill swap to a 3" or so block in the back

In other news the stainless sombreros showed up. They look bitchin. Center caps need paint IMG_0745.JPG

15x5 wheels also showed up, ready for some paint
    IMG_0747.JPG

slv63 and voodookustoms like this.
  22. LBCD

LBCD

23. Where did you order the wheels from?

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Summit. They were like $85 a piece. Only one option for 15x5. 3" backspace

Thanks lbcd!!

lbcd likes this.
  25. Man, I'm anxious to see how it sits with the 2.5" drop spindles.

26. Will the sombreros fit those wheels? They look like they need the deeper dish style wheel. I only ask this because I had a friend run into this problem.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Im not sure if the 1 1/2" spindles were a full 1 1/2" or not. Not trying to knock drop n stop em product, because its a super nice kit and hes been very very helpful. The 2 1/2" spindles should look killer. I figure if im gonna c notch it and do some tunnel clearancing i might as well go low like i want it

Hunter73 likes this.
  28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Racer29 im removing the original caddy hubcap clip. They should sit flush after that

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Diamondback ii radials came in

IMG_0756.JPG

Quick look with the caps

IMG_0760.JPG

kiwijeff, Icufltrn, Racer29 and 2 others like this.