Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 ford car front lowering blocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54sled, Sep 21, 2012.

1. 54sled

54sled

My 54 ford is lowered in the front but not much.was looking at front blocks from butchs cool stuff,was wondering if any of you guys are running them with drop coils,they tell you not to because it will be on the bumpstops.any help will be appreciated.thanks

2. Squablow

Squablow

$60 Aerostar coils give me as much drop as I'm going to get out of my '52 without cutting up the front suspension or giving up all the travel.

I'm going to be trimming some height off of a new pair of bumpstops and putting them in my car, a bit less height and softer rubber gives a little more travel, but that's about all you can do.

Those blocks aren't going to do anything that a shorter coil spring won't do, it's just making the spring pocket deeper. How much drop do you have now? Aerostar coils give me about 3" If you don't have that much, I'd swap coils.

3. George/Maine

George/Maine

I did this years ago and if you don,t like just remove them.
    Drill 2 holes on each side of spring, lower a frame,get a threaded rod with a j hook.
    Grab 2 or 3 coils and tighen up.
    It will lower it.

4. 54sled

54sled

The fender is at the top of a 6.70-15 coker bias

5. 54sled

54sled

Has 2 inch blocks in the back,any lower the driveshaft will hit the floor,already trimmed a little.the back is low enough for me.

6. 54sled

54sled

Sitting 1 inch above factory bump stops,anybody have an idea of how much its lowered? If any

7. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

I like the front block set up for these cars, and have run them on a couple I have owned - a '53 Ford and a '56 Merc with 3 inch blocks on the back, never lowered them any more than that - effectively lowers them without changing too much geometry. It's surprising how much that little block can drop the car. In my eyes they should be a little tail down anyhow. :)

8. The Aerostar springs seem like the way to go,,I didn't know about this trick when I started our Ranch Wagon so I went with dropped spindle which work great but are not as reasonable and do basically the same thing. HRP

9. BlacktopScraper

BlacktopScraper

I had a '53 Ford that had Jamco coil springs in the front. I think those coils gave it a 3 inch drop or pretty close. For the rear, I had the leaf springs dearched 3 inches and I installed a set of 3" blocks. There was some very minor clearance issues for the driveshaft, so I did do some cutting and a little hammering in the the right spots. I also cut down the front bump stops and removed the rear ones completely. Shorter shocks in front and air shocks in the rear also helps.

I have a '55 Ford Ranchwagon that I plan on using the Aerostar coils and 3" blocks in back. We'll see if that does the trick for some mild lowering !

10. GREASER815

GREASER815

Had a 54, just make some one inch spacers and drop the bottom plate of the control arm or as mentioned, aerostar coils, better ride and cheap.

11. 54sled

54sled

Thanks guys!