Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Customline Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragonknucks, May 12, 2011.

1. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

I finally got up the nerve to post my build thread out here on the main board. I'm a member of the 52-56 Ford group here and have my build thread posted there as well. Just thought I'd post it here to get outside opinions and advice. Now for a little background on how I got this car. I bought my first 54 Customline sedan for 300 bucks. It was a roller with no drive train. First old car I have ever bought. Definitely had no idea what I was getting myself into. My pops was pretty pissed, but what are ya gonna do? Anywho, I bought a "rebuilt" 292 yblock for it. Also got a 3 speed to go on the tree. Spent a couple years on this car just getting it to run. Swapped out the 3speed for a Ford o matic. Finally got it roadworthy and was driving to get my smithys put on at the muffler shop. On the way, I was rearended and the car was totaled. Completely bummed out for a few months. Got my money back from the car and started looking for another one. I randomly looked on craigslist in Oklahoma and saw this car. 54 Customline coupe with an inline 6 and 3 on the tree. Drove from Arizona to Oklahoma and picked it up. Thats where the fun begins. Please try to take it easy on me, this is only my 2nd attempt at building an old car. So here goes nothin.

Here is a picture of the old 4 door when I first bought it:
    [​IMG]

And here is the new 2 door I got in November 2010:
    [​IMG]

I have already swapped out the inline 6 for the 292 out of the 4 door. Kept the 3 on the tree. It also has Aerostar front springs in it.

About 2 1/2" drop:
    [​IMG]

New stance:
    [​IMG]

I am gonna try to go with a mild kustom on this build. Shaved handles and trim, nosed, decked, frenched headlights and maybe some packard taillights. The taillights are gonna be hard to do cuz I dont have any metal working skills or a good welder. I have a hand me down craftsman that has no temp control or speed control. Its a huge pain in the ass. Anywho, I am in the process of shaving the handles now. I will try to post regularly. Let me know what you guys think. Much appreciated.

Rocky

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

well! good luck! sad that your 1st car got totaled by some Ahole, but at leat he paid the damage, which is not always the case.
    I think you should lower it more 1st and the rest later... and if you still have the 4dor steel wheels i think they would look better on this car, but w/ the whitewalls you have on the cragars, that is just my opinion tho.
    get on wrenchin.

3. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Yeah, those cragars are definitely gonna go. Was just waitin to get wide whites for the steel wheels. Have 3" lowering blocks getting ready to go in the back. I like the taildragger look more than having the ass up in the air.

4. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

So I got the handle holes welded in and the driver side trim holes welded in. Started the body work on it as well. I need to rebuild another inner door mechanism to show you guys how Joe and I did them. I keep putting it off. It really doesnt take that long. Anywho, the keyless entry works pretty well. Just doesnt push the doors out that far. I have the stainless door "poppers" that go with the kit, but I dont know where to mount them. Anywho, here is a picture just starting sanding the drivers door and one during. Im still not done with it, so bear with me. Its my 1st time doing body work as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for lookin!

Rocky

5. 76formulafiend

76formulafiend

good start can't wait to see how it turns out

6. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Very cool car. Too bad about the wreck but hey how many folks get a two door from the loss of a four door.
    Looks like you are learning well. Glad to hear I am not the only newb jumping into a project with no clue.
    On the job training I guess. Keep up the good work.

7. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Yeah, I lucked out for sure. Didnt go thru much pain or anything, so trading a 4door for a 2door wasnt so bad. And its definitely on the job training. But how else am I gonna learn? Cant read a book and learn to do it. And I wont spend my money having someone else do the work when I can do it a time or six for nothin. Thanks for the words fellas. Appreciate it.

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

These make nice rides ! Not many around in "straight" 2Dr. form...lots of Hardtops. These 2Drs that are left are rarer...and VERY Kool !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

9. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

i love them 2 doors and the make nice mild kustoms with very little work. heres mine i sold at the first of the year. it also came off craigslist out of oklahoma.

Attached Files:

10. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Very clean car! I bet it sold for waaaay more than I bought mine for. Screenz's car is pretty much where I want to be with my car. He has the green 54. Its a sick car. One day....

11. Off to a great start on a cool car.

FYI - I have shaved handles on mine and didn't run any "poppers". I just hook my finger in the stainless door trim, punch the remote, and I'm in.

[​IMG]

Good luck on your build. Have fun.

12. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Hey Daddy o, Im not sure if youve seen my build thread in the 52-56 ford social group or not, but the photoshop I had done actually turned out to look like your car. I was gonna do a satin orange/copper color with a white top. I have since decided to go with a hot rod flatz copper pearl. And minus the side trim. Love your car though.