Register now to get rid of these ads!

'54 Corvette Nomad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WaldorfNomad, Jan 21, 2013.

1. WaldorfNomad

WaldorfNomad

I have been researching the '54 Corvette Nomad concept for over 20 years and have amassed a good collection of photographs and interviews with people associated with its design. If anyone has any information on the car or contact with anyone who has knowledge of the "Waldorf" Nomad, please contact me. I am particularly interested in any information on what may have happened to the car after 1955, information on the engine, 1st hand memories, and of course, any candid or unusual photos. I am also interested in information on the Nomad's sister car, the Corvair, details about the workings of the various floors in the Argonaut Building and the executive parking garage in the basement, and any details concerning the 1954 Motorama. I am working on a presentation for the July Chevrolet Nomad Association convention in Chicago. Thanks!

2. jesse1980

jesse1980

That's a different car. I would love to see what you come up with. I live 40 miles south of Chicago.

3. No information but I have always loved the look. HRP

[​IMG]

4. Didn't GM do an updated recreation several years ago for the Auto Show circuit?

5. wasn't it called a Corvair when it was a concept car? I was thinking that I read that somewhere.

The car itself may be stuck away in some wharehouse belonging to GM. I think that someone was making copies of the car a few years back or was going to do so.

6. I have photo's of the re-pops made in Oregon.

7. PB... You are partly right, the Corvair & the Waldorf Nomad were made from the '53/'54 Corvette platform. Intentions were to make 4 models of the Corvette. There was a company making the Waldorf Nomad a couple of years ago, don't know if thier still around though...

Attached Files:

8. I knew someone was making copies. Do they still make them???

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

WaldorfNomad, go over to the Nomad/Safari group and post some stuff as well. Not a lot of action over there in awhile!

10. Superior Glass Works is building 24 copies. they are high quality with late vette drive trains. I'm buying two when powerball sends my check.:cool:

11. High5

High5

You may want to contact Joe Bortz. He's collected a fair number of concept cars (especially GM brands).

Also Warhoops junkyard in Sterling Heights Michigan seemed to be the "go to" yard for unused concept vehicles. In some cases the owner of Warhoops would save the car from being crushed as he was instructed to do. At the very least, they may be able to provide some information or possibly a contact within GM.

Good luck.

12. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

If I remember correctly, It ended up at the bottom of Lake Michigan when the ship it was being transported on sunk. It may or may not have been the same ship that the chrysler concept went down on.

13. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Chrysler car was (is) on the Andria Doria, sunk in '56 just off the east coast. DD

14. WaldorfNomad

WaldorfNomad

Thanks everyone. I've pretty much touched all of the bases mentioned so far. I've had good access to the GM archives as well as the Tech Center. I've talked to Bortz on several occasions. I never heard the theory about Lake Michigan, but I don't think there's anything to it. If there was, it would be well known. I'd love to have one of the Superior bodies, but they're out of my price range. Thanks guys. Anyone hear anything else, I would appreciate it if you would pass it on.

15. Talked to Mike Terry?

16. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Saw this in Vegas for SEMA in 2007.

Attached Files:

17. Looks cool, but the tilt column with cruise, digital stereo and the center consol aren't working for me.

18. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Elgin Park Motorama 11870745_10206446993832161_3907623120203210962_n.jpg