Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 54 Corvette Gasser Barn-find(kinda)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Utahvette

Utahvette

OK, it's not in a barn, it's a garage . I just bought this 54 Vette that's been off the road since 1968. It's been a hot rod since at least the early 60s. It had a 430 Lincoln and 3 speed manual in it during the early 60s and then had a 301 sbc and T-10 installed mid 60s. At that time the front was raised 4 inches , Traction bars and red plexiglass scoop were added. Plans are to get it running , leave the "patina" but make it look the best it can. CIMG7574.JPG CIMG2918.JPG CIMG2921.JPG 13064482_1712466822370173_8027937785986018033_o.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is plastic fantastic orgasmic. Color me green with envy! One idea, weber carbs through the hood, a bunch of them. Without the scoop. And put the mags back on. Okay, that was two ideas. Nice find!!

Hotdoggin DaddyO, els and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Legendlives

Legendlives

Very cool. You are one lucky guy. Are you going to post some build-up pics as the project progresses?

els likes this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nice find you lucky dog. Leave the scoop, that thing is cool lookin':cool:

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    els and slowmotion like this.

5. redo32

redo32

Words can't express my contempt and jealousy.

Atwater Mike, els and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not your every day common find - have fun

els likes this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As much as I'm for Chevy engines in Fords and not the other way around, it's sacrilege! I'd like to see a Lincoln back in it for the sake of nostalgia, as long as that plexiglass scoop stays on the hood!

8. noboD

noboD

Lose the rally wheels and go with the five spokes.

els likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

So you're in Woods Cross; whatever you do, don't let the "Diesel Brothers" stick a diesel in it (tongue in cheek)! It's amazing what finds it's way out of old garages, barns, and backyards. What a rare find! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

els and volvobrynk like this.
  10. C1 heaven right there! Restorers are groaning as you read this. Great stuff.

els, lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. exterminator

exterminator

Oh myyyy!

els likes this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Cool find for sure. Will wait to see how much patina ends up on the final product before I give it two thumbs up. I have been a shiny paint guy for so long that it is hard to change. When it was in all of its glory it probably did not have a ton of patina if any (although that is strictly a guess on my part). If there is an engine in it now how about a couple of pictures.

els likes this.
  13. Gasp! I'm both stunned and envious of your garage (barn) find.

els likes this.
  14. You suck! And your very lucky! Great find.

els likes this.
  15. Utahvette

Utahvette

I got the 54 home and checked it out a little. Taking a look at things, it looks like its got a great frame under it. The conversion from 430 Lincoln to small block appears to have been done with a later 50s donor Corvette for the pedals ,motor mounts , rear end, trans mount. The body shows a little damage in the right front but overall it's a sound old car. CIMG0296.JPG CIMG0297.JPG

16. That is Awesome!! 54 one of the best looking vettes ever.

Atwater Mike, els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow...That thing is absolutely amazing!

els likes this.
  18. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

It still amazes me how many cool old cars are tucked away! Envious yes I am but the Vette has found a good home. Can't wait to see the completed project! Joe

19. brad2v

brad2v

That is very, very cool. So glad it's not getting a stock resto.

mike bowling and els like this.
  20. Your views probably aren't mine and its your car, but...This is just my opinion because I am anal about Vettes, but Corvettes don't look good with "patina"in my opinion. That car deserves to be put back as beautiful as it once was...shiny and clean.

21. Utahvette

Utahvette

Here's a few suspension shots of the 54 Corvette. The old school traction bars and the 4 inch spacer used between the front cross member and the frame to lift the front end. CIMG0387.JPG CIMG0388.JPG

49ratfink, volvobrynk and oldsjoe like this.
  22. elgringo71

elgringo71

That is a great find. Do you know anything else about the cars history? Where it ran or its speed or any pictures of it from back in the day? Also do you plan to run a MEL motor in it again? The most successful race car that I know of that ran a MEL was the Grist Brothers chopped Willys Coupe back in the 60s.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    els and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Utahvette

Utahvette

A good friend of mine bought this car about 6 years ago. I tried to get the car then but he was still excited about his new acquisition and didn't want to sell so I waited. Then one day a few month's later a couple of guys in a work truck pulled into my place and wanted to see my 56 chevy. As I was showing it to them he couldn't help but notice my Corvettes and said "I used to have a Corvette" to which I asked "what was it like"He told me it was a 54 hot rod . He said when he first got the car in the early 60s it had a 430 Lincoln motor in it . He dated his wife in it and after they were married he transplanted a bored out 283 (301) into it with a T-10. He built some traction bars for it and raised the front end up. And then he said it had a red plexiglass hood scoop on it. Holy Crap! I said, I know where your car is! I called my friend right then and we went over to his house to reunite the previous owner with his car he hadn't seen in over 40 years. He showed us a picture of the car with the Lincoln motor ,chrome wheels and his soon to be wife posed on the fender. I was surprised to found out he sold the car to another person I know who was the last registered owner in 1968. I guess I need to talk to him (the first guy)again and get some details and pictures of the car from back then. Anyway, my friend just recently decided to sell the car so I jumped at it. Sorry, It's not getting a 430 for the same reason the first owner took it out, They are very heavy (750 plus) low powered anchors. I've got an old school small block picked out.

els, volvobrynk, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Post those old photos of the "Vette":)

els likes this.
  25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am looking forward to this build:)

els likes this.
  26. This is a great story

els likes this.
  27. Congrats on a score with cool history, I'm gonna watch this one.

els likes this.
  28. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wow, this is gonna be good. I'm on board. Period street/racecar, screamin' small block, 4-gear, hell yea!
    Leave the front jacked & the plexi scoop, add 5-spokes....:D
    Great story AND the connection to previous owners is gold. I'd lean t'wards making that one shiny as I'm sure it once was, struttin' around with it's nose up in the air. Ya done good...

els, volvobrynk and brad2v like this.
  29. khead47

khead47

Needs an 8500 RPM 301!

30. Had a similar corvette with a 389 Pontiac and B&M hydro. Funn toy.
    Good luck with your new project.

els likes this.