Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 54 Chrysler T&C wagon, suspension question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bredlo, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Bredlo

Bredlo
    from Chicago

Hey guys,

I've looked around a bit for a replacement for a 54 Chrysler T&C front lower control arm (I think that's correct, is the plate that holds the spring). Anyhow, one side is ovaled out and the threads are worn away.

I'm not seeing many replacements online in general, and worse off, if this part is specific to the wagons, there are hardly any parts out there. (I have a parts wagon but was hoping to leave the suspension alone to sell it)

I also noticed they're unique to each side, I don't know if this is a left or right. Didn't notice a part number. Anybody know for sure before I dig into the parts wag?

Attached Files:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would be willing to bet the parts is the same as a sedan. As for 'left' or 'right'....compare the bolt holes along the side rail with your parts car to identify which it matches. I also think it likely the part is the same on DeSoto models of the same year. If you have access to a Hollander's Parts Interchange Manual, it will indicate your options. There is a vintage car salvage yard near Waco, TX, CT Auto Ranch and Desert Valley Auto parts in Arizona. They may be able to supply what you need if you can't find it locally. Also, I have some success in the WANT ads here on the HAMB.

EDIT: just looked closer at the photos. I believe that is a right side A arm. On Mopars, they are swept rearward and the lower, outer pin bosses are angled, compared to the inboard bushing bosses. The 'short leg' goes to the front.

Ray

3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I rebuilt a 1952 Chrysler Saratoga and it look pretty much the same as yours and different from the rest of the product line due to the 331 Hemi motor. I believe the difference could be id from the size of the brake shoes, and I think they were 12 by 2 inches wide.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Quick look in a '56 MoToR flat rate shows lower control arm for all '49 - '54 8 cylinder Chrysler except Saratoga as same, as well as DeSoto. Wagons get the heavy stuff in '55 ...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

5. Bredlo

Bredlo
    from Chicago

Wow, thanks all! Will follow up if / when I have success, appreciate your advice and the leads.

6. Bredlo

Bredlo
    from Chicago

Found a source for new lower arms, and the seller even spotted a bent kingpin support in my photo. Kudos to him, I have a bunch of NOS stuff heading my way. Thanks for the suggestions, all.

302GMC and Hnstray like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Spread the word...For esoterical information, just 'rattle the HAMB bones'...o_O

Bruce Fischer and Hnstray like this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for posting a followup.............always great to hear when a HAMBER gets a problem solved,
    and how he solved it!

Ray

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  9. 53coronet

53coronet

Anyone in this thread know the torque or adjustment specs for the caps to the inner cross shafts?

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. 53coronet

53coronet

I have a 53 coronet hardtop I'm rebuilding the front suspension on.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hey...Congratulations! I have one of those too......not at all a common model. Mine is a 241 little hemi with manual 3 speed and O/D .....have owned it for probably 25 years.

Ray

53coronet likes this.
  12. 53coronet

53coronet

Mine was the hemi but it's long gone. Has a 318 stroker now and a mini tub with 295 rear tires. Should sit pretty when it's done! Do you have a picture?

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be careful... I think the station wagon used a heavier suspension than the sedan. Shared with Chrysler DeSoto and Dodge 8 passenger sedans and limousines and possibly Chrysler Imperial. Do you have a factory repair manual? It should give the details in the specifications section.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The '53/'54 Dodge wagons were Plymouth based body shells, not the larger body/chassis used thru '52 Dodge wagons and through '54 on DeSoto and Chrysler. However, that said, they are some differences in steering linkages between Dodge and Pymouth in '53/'54. Not so much the control arms and other suspension parts.

Ray

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I was responding to the original question concerning the front suspension of a 1954 Chrysler Town & Country station wagon. I believe they used a slightly different, heavier duty suspension than the Chrysler sedans. If I am correct, they would have a wheel bolt pattern of 5 bolts on a 5 inch circle instead of the standard 5 bolt on 4 1/2" circle.

16. joshmodelskidoo

joshmodelskidoo

My 41 dodge d19 looks the same. Many of the parts cross up to 56 I believe

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

18. 53coronet

53coronet

19. john walker

john walker

Imperial suspension/brakes on the '54 wagons. I had one for a bit, but it was too rusty . Still have the nice running 235hp 4bbl hemi under the bench though.

20. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

T & C bolt pattern is 5 on 51/2 same as the Imperials and limos. It cost me $500. To find this out ordered 5 on 5 wires for my 53 TC and they didn't fit had to return to California and reorder the correct set.......btw its in the manual I just didn't bother to look until it was to late

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 53coronet

53coronet

The 2 small holes on the right are for the sway bar that mounts on the front side of the control arm. So the arm in the picture is the right side.