Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 chevy steering column trim question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smurftastic, Jul 17, 2019.

1. that gap between the wheel and the column, do I have the wrong adapter or am I missing a piece of trim? thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

could be you're using the wrong adapter, or it's installed wrong, or the turn signal switch slipped down the column a ways, or maybe two or three of these things.

3. Good call, the switch housing isnt part of the column itself? im at work currently so I cant go look at it. thanks for the tips.

4. squirrel

squirrel

there is a little wedge clamp thing, with a screw that comes in from the back, that holds it tight...but the housing is pot metal and is warped, and you'll never get it to stay tight. Just so you know what to look for when you get home.

Grabis likes this.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm thinking the original steering wheel would have covered that gap. go find a picture on google and compare.

6. squirrel

squirrel

it's pretty difficult to see exactly what is going on from his picture, eh? And a picture of a stock one might or might not help....

like I said, it could be a few different things adding up to that large gap. I'd start with the easy one, which is the position of the turn signal switch housing.

Chev54SW4.jpg

Torkwrench likes this.
  7. Yep it’s the housing. I appear to be missing the wedge and screw bits, looks like a previous owner tried some thick foam tape of some sort. Is that wedge something I can buy? Or just make a steel flat piece that the screw would clamp against the column?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. squirrel

squirrel

9. thanks a lot @squirrel youre a wealth of information.