Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmyfromhell, Aug 27, 2005.

1. jimmyfromhell

jimmyfromhell

Can I switch a closed driveline pumpkin out for an open drive pumpkin? Just wondering, looks like the same bolt pattern?

2. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know, but I'd like to hear the answer to that one as well, so BTT for you. If someone knows, could they tell me if it would work on a '46 Chevy rearend? (I doubt it, but worth a try)

3. Leon

Leon

After having a stock 54 rear apart for repair, I don't think there is any open pumpkin that will fit - the stock housing is smaller. The axles won't fit ( the splines are unique) and without the torque tube the stock housing will flop around on the springs because of the pivot at the spring mounts. There are several different rears that will fit (don't forget to mount it 1 3/4" back from the pin in the springs because of the pivot mount on the stock). Just do a search and the topic of which rear will fir has been covered here a little while back.