Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Chevy Grille Teeth Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SFO, Jul 22, 2014.

1. SFO

SFO
    from Novato, CA

What's up everyone? I'm looking to do a 15-tooth grille (Moooonglow!) on my '54 Bel Air HT, and have a few questions for you guys. I picked up two sets of teeth off of craigslist. All of them look ok, and are numbered on the inside 1,2,3,4,5 etc with an X near next to the number. However, one of them, which looks like it'd be a #2 or #3 doesn't have a number, but has a 5 digit number inside it. It also feels a little lighter gauge than the others, is a tad narrower, and doesnt have the bottom flat piece (see pic). One in question is on the left.

I'm not sure if this that this is original and the rest are repros, or vise versa. Any help in figuring out what it's supposed to be is appreciated.

Next, I've seen a few threads on adding teeth, but not much on how to modify the center grille bar. I have another CL pickup (grille bar w/ 9 teeth) coming in the mail. Is a center bar that had 9 teeth installed pretty much toast, or can the additional 6 be squeezed in? Also, any tips on drilling the holes in the grille bar for these?
    unnamed.jpg

2. Center tooth has equal sides. The others are cut at angles to fit their sides. Should be numbered to fit as the angles show. After you do the measuring for locating the extra teeth use the die grinder to break the chrome and then center punch and drill.

3. R Pope

R Pope

A bar that has four extra teeth is going to have the extra holes showing when you put 15 on it.