Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 54 chevy grill ideas?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Apr 28, 2010.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I've searched for pics, but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm looking for grill options on a 54 chevy. I read a ton of threads, looked at a lot of cool cars, but haven't found the grill idea I like.

Anybody got a pic of a real cool one? I'm not sure of what I'm looking for, but I'll know it when I see it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A 51 Ford uses 54 chevy Grilles alot, also 54 pontiac. Maybe you could use those on your 54. Or you could just leave off the teeth on your grille.

3. hvychvy

hvychvy

I really dig the 54 grill.Fill that sucker full of teath.To me,not much beats a full 54 chevy grill,especially on a 54.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Well there you have it....I agree.

5. oly

oly
    from oregon

38Flattie, I hope this help some,been searching the web.
    [​IMG]

6. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

The 49-54 Chevy has got to be at the top of the list for the most re-grilled cars on the planet. Finding pics should not be a problem, especially on the HAMB...use the "Search" button.

7. roddinron

roddinron

Seems like everybody else wants one, and you want to dump yours? I'm building a 54, and after a lot of thought, I made a few small changes to my grill area, but that grill's pretty hard to beat IMO, and if you change it, just for the sake of change, and it ain't great, everyone's gonna think you f%*#ed it up.

8. i personnally like the 54 chevy grille cant really understand why someone would want to change one out of a 54 chevy the only other grille that i would concider and that would be a 54 pontiac

9. brandoni

brandoni

I agree. Definitely on of my favorite grills. Jam that sucker full of teeth

10. ....or sell it to me......54 Chevy grilles are probably the best imho, besides DeSoto...

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Hey noob, read the post! I've searched- not many replace the '54 grill

Yep, everyone wants one, but I want a different look, as I'm really not that fond of it. And if I f%*k it up, I can always change it Back.
    I'm not looking at anything real radical- might 'float' it or something.

12. teddyp

teddyp

54 chevy grille is the most used grille in 50,s customs a nice look is like bob barkoff,s 51 merc,s he changed the teeth to 53 ,s and john manna,s 53 he put 54 teeth in i think they swap them when i get home i,ll look for pictures

13. Hey flatty,
    I'll swap ya grills (even if they wont on the cars :D)

IMHO sometimes less is more. Have you tried just pulling the teeth off?

Might look interesting with just a chrome bar running across.

14. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

here's as floater i built for my shoebox, , ,would work just as well in a 54 chevy,,,,56 caddy bar, inverted dummy spots for bullets....clean, simple, cheap, easy..

Attached Files:

15. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

Google "Moomey 1954 Chevy." His car was in Street Rodder. I would post pix, but likely copyrighted. Has a DeSoto grill with floating 1954 parking lights. Other than original, this looks pretty cool. I'm thinking about something similar with floating parking lights on mine.

16. skyrodder

skyrodder

<------------------------- check out mine

17. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

Some of the best touches with the 54 grill if you want more of a custom look is just filling in the upper (mustache) bar and leaving the center bar and parking light housings in chrome. I think this is how Custom54 from here on the HAMB did his gold 54. Definitely a car worth checking out a few times if you haven't run accross it yet. Although, I imagine you probably already have.

18. atomickustom

atomickustom

I personally like the '54 grilles a lot, too, but I started with a '53 and I didn't have the money to buy and rechrome a '54 grille so I did this instead. It's a repop '53 Corvette grille and it has beautiful chrome and set me back less than $350 when I bought it from Night Prowlers about 7 years ago.

Attached Files:

19. jadam54

jadam54
    from DENVER

I love the 54 grill but if you want to do something just take the teeth out

20. How bout this? Corvette teeth.

Attached Files:

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks. I checked it out, and it's a cool ride. It's just not quite what I'm looking for.

Yep, I think that's more like it.

That's funny! I was just thinking of using the center bar from a 52 Cad. I like the look on that shoebox-it's what I'm looking for.Awesome build- I've followed the thread! Very few 54's have a different grill. I know everyone likes them, I just think the car would look a little better with a different look.

Thanks!

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Kustom7777's shoebox gives me an idea. I think I'm going to take the grill with the teeth, and the turn signals off. I'll extend the 'mustache' further down on the top piece of chrome. For the center, I'll use a 'floated' '50-'52 caddy center, shortened, with the Caddy turn signals on it. I can't photoshop, or I'd try it to see what it would look like.

Waddya think?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  23. Sounds nice.

So, you got another new project going?
    How's that caddi coming along?

I've given up sanding on mine for a little bit. Got dad's chevelle in the shop for an automatic swap so he can troll for cougars LOL

24. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thom, I can tell you haven't driven by the house for a couple of months! I sold the Caddy and '56 Montclaire, bought a 29 Graham Paige, which I'm trading for a bbc '54 Chevy Belair.

I still have the '38 Lasalle though- I'll never sell it-probably-I think-ok, this week!Lol!

25. Custom54

Custom54

Here's mine with more teeth and 56 bumper and 56 Olds headlight bezels.

[​IMG]

26. skyrodder

skyrodder

Here is my old 54

Attached Files:

27. That would be my pick. It's hard to improve perfect, except make them more TEETH :D.

28. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

29. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

It's hard to improve the '54 chevy grill. Add a handful of extra teeth and that's about it. It's like a '40 Ford: almost impossible to improve the lines! Very few have done it successfully.