Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy Front Power Discs w/Manual Trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54_BelAir, Oct 2, 2010.

1. 54_BelAir

54_BelAir

I'm planning on running a 350sbc/4 or 5 spd(t5) manual trans combo in my 54 Chevy sedan with front power discs. I'd really like to keep the master under the floor. Anyone out there running a similar combo know a solution? Seems like no one makes a kit to run a manual trans w/ power master cyl. Everything I've found is either for auto trans under floor or auto on firewall...

2. with that combo you need to look into a hyd. clutch setup otherwise the linkage won't have clearance you need. another option is cable operated clutch. a 60'-62' chevy truck bellhousing is what your after as they has hyd. clutch. that puts things on pass side out of the way.

3. i plan to do a similar setup (327/t5) in my 53. i too have been wondering what it will take to keep the pedals on the floor, cause thats what i would prefer. mechanical clutch linkage and a small booster. i keep seeing most guys running manual brakes with manual trannys, and i dont know but manual just seems a lil scary to me... maybe its fine, but power would sure make it more comfortable with the way people drive these days.

4. if you must go hydraulic, there is always the hydraulic throwout bearing option

5. Slide

Slide

FWIW, I had manual brakes on my old 52 Sedan, and I could slide all 4 tires whenever I needed to. But then no one ever accused me of having skinny legs.

I ran a 72 Mustang master cylinder under the floor, then moved it to the firewall when I put the swingin' pedals in for converting from a TH350 to a Muncie M20.

I used the pedal assembly from a 56 Chevy car.

I liked the setup good enough that I'm doing the same in this Fleetline I'm building now.

6. got a dual system master cyl:)
    works great, just put both feet on the petal and push as hard:eek: as you can while pulling on steer wheel:rolleyes:

wife drove it and said brakes are a little tough to push;)
    but it has never locked up, kinda like anti-lock:D

7. gwarren007

gwarren007

For the PS/PB solution, look into the Hydroboost solution (example: 95 Astro van), run the lines down the frame rails and tuck the reservoir down by the base of the radiator.

8. masterpower makes an under floor power brake set up with a hydraulic clutch master cylinder. the pedals and whole system is pretty easy to adapt to most cars if you can fab a little.

9. i have used these hydroboosts before, but was concerned about mounting one lower than the power steering resivoir, because they are real finicky about the return line pressure. not to mention where do you get the custom made high pressure hoses to run that distance?

10. gwarren007

gwarren007

We have several companies in tucson that make custom hoses to fit nearly any application. If you go to your local Napa (or carquest) they can tell you where you can get some made. Inline tube i'm sure can also get you the hose you're looking for :)

11. didn't really think about the hydroboost but that could be an option for solving clearance issues. the hyd. throwout bearing is another good idea. any good farm and tractor shop can make up hyd. hoses of most lengths.

12. INNOHRY

INNOHRY

I also have been looking for a solution to this exact problem for my 52, Im running a mild built 235, S10 T5 and I don't really want to look at all the brakes under the hood. J.W. rod garage offers a similar (to the masterpower) hydraulic clutch and dual master/booster set up for 375.00. ECI brakes offers a slick inline style set up, but it still raises the question.... WILL IT ALL FIT UNDER THE FLOOR? Has anyone successfully installed anything like this under the floor of there 49-54 chevy?

thank you Jesse!!!

13. Slide

Slide

I have seen a few instances where guys will take a stock master cylinder (which has the boss for both the brake and clutch pedal pivots cast-in), and gut it. Lengthen the pushrod so it goes all the way through the original master and activates a power booster and dual-chamber master cylinder located under the rise in the floor under the driver's butt. You could run a hydraulic clutch master off the factory pedal with a longer pushrod. the clutch master is usually pretty small, so it could be located sort of under the driver's left ankle.

Problem with this is that it's a real pain to service the brake or clutch master's fluid levels. But then hopefully you don't hafta do that too often.

14. INNOHRY

INNOHRY

Thanks Slide, I had done something along those lines on my shoebox. I will have to lay under the car tomorrow and start to plan my attach!

15. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

We make a dual m/cyl. conversion bracket to use the stock brake and clutch pedal in the stock location under your chevy. Our DBK uses the big piston GM caliper (not the metric) and can be used unboosted no problem at all. Ralph 860-872-7046.

16. dan sutton

dan sutton

Found this thread by searching. Anyone have any luck with this process?