Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy factory p/s issue......its not there anymore!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wasahawaiianrat, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

ok so i have 54 bel air with the factory power steering option, well the motor was out of it when i bought the car so i'm assuming the hard to find set up went with it, well now im left with the p/s crap on the end of the steering colum right, and a front end set up for power/ not manual rack? am i better of pulling the whole colum out? thanks kyle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. If you want to keep the factory set up. I believe that I have the the needed missing pieces from a p/steering set up I ran in my 54 sedan delivery. I'm in possession of a rebuilt gearbox and pump assy, along with the hoses mounting brkts and pulleys .I ran this for about 1500 miles after all the new and rebuilt parts were installed. Unfortunately the pitman arm snapped in half . The arm had a factory casting defect (air bubble)that caused its failure. All the removed parts have been in dry heated storage since their removal but they have been sitting for over 10 years. Drop a pm if you need any other info. It looks like between the two you should have all the pieces to make it work.

Larry

Larry

3. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

4. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

anyone have pictures of the factory set up?

5. screwtheman

screwtheman

I've never seen a p/s setup in person (come to think of it, I've never seen a pic of the power brakes either until now!). But I have seen my share of the manual steering on the '53-'54s. It looks identical to what you've got there up until the gearbox at the end of the column. I think if you wanted to go manual, nothing past the pitman arm would need to change.

6. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

well it looks like i might have found someone who has what im missing since i'm going to put a 235 back in it. But the power brakes are coming out, going to disc with new mastercylinder instead of trying to rebuild the a/c delco unit

these are the best pics i could find of someones car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

anyone with better pics?

8. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

anyone know if there is a double crank pulley to power the pump?

[​IMG]