Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy drive shaft noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evel X, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Evel X

Evel X
    from Joplin, MO

hi and thanks in advance for looking...just got this car road worthy, and when you apply the clutch to shift into 2nd gear, there is a kathunk kathunk noise coming from under the car...it only does it when you coast or engage clutch...im new to this enclosed drive shaft world and am asking you guys what is this noise?....was thinking of going to another rearend/drive shaft/tranny but if its just a bushing or something i would like to keep the three on the tree...original motor and tranny and rearend by the way.

2. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Second gear is a weak gear in the 49-54 cars. I lost several of them over the years due to downshifting. They all just twisted off. I could drive the car, but it would make a clunk noise just as you described.
    Also, under the four bolts that hold the torque tube ball to the back of the transmission and slide the bell back to expose the u joint. Look for loose keeps on the four tiny bolts that hold the u joint together and check that the u joint isn't worn out. There is a large bushing on th drive shaft itself just inside the torque tube. Wiggle the drive shaft to see if the bushing is worn out in the tube. If it is they make a repair kit for that. If that bushing is worn, the drive shaft will make noises like you described to and the oil in the trans will run to the rear axle

3. brownfoot

brownfoot
    from nc

if it is the cluster gear in the transmission, later model cluster gear with roller bearings will fit, have to have the shaft, gear and bearings, makes it comparably bullet proof, I lost several cluster gear and main gear teeth from worn bushings in the cluster gears in my '50. got the parts used out of a 56 3-speed...........well that was about '75 or so, may be harder to find now

4. Evel X

Evel X
    from Joplin, MO

awesome, thanks guys...i will jack it up this week and check the ujoint and shaft. i appreciate your time answering my post....a whole world of knowledge on this site...i love it.