Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '54 Chevy Bel Air turn signal issues...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dyno Dave, May 9, 2016.

1. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

My turn signals have'nt worked well for long time. Would a newer switch assembly from say a '57 thru '62 fit in my stock column housing and function BETTER than the present one? If so, what all parts would be needed changeover. Thanks for any help on this, Dyno Dave

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The switch you have is a better made item than the later. Every piece in the system can be cleaned & lubed, reassembled & adjusted.

4. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Squirrel & 302 GMC, thanks for your replies... Squirrel mentioned in an earlier posting that the cups were prone to going out of round, that's what mine is doing and the signal arm won't return to neutral position. I've shimmed the cup and tried various fixes. Would that truck cup assembly fit my car column, if so I'd consider that change. Just tired of messing with it, thanks Dyno Dave

5. squirrel

squirrel

The new one is made in China, right?

The main thing I've had trouble with on the old originals, is that the (pot metal) housing gets warped and becomes unusable. So sometimes you have to go through a few to find one that works.

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The holddown wedge is tightened by a Phillips screw which is always coming loose or won't tighten at all. Quick trip to Ace hardware for an Allen head to replace it solves that problem forever.

8. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a 53-4 on a 57 truck years ago. Looks to me like a good clean up and grease job would help. Later switches look the same. Take Mr. Squirrels advice over mine however. Mine is an opinion.

9. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Every once in awhile the stars DO align... A local guy has several old chevys, my concern was that his old housings would be as warped as mine and , are the new repos made in China? E-bay scanning and out of Utah, in the GM box a NOS complete housing assembly. Priced at less than the repops and free freight. Should be here on Wednesday. Thank you all for your interest and advice, Dyno Dave

302GMC and squirrel like this.