Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '54 Chevy 3600 trans crossmember removal?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Montana 54 Chevy, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Montana 54 Chevy

Montana 54 Chevy

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suggest mounting the cab and then trial fit the engine and transmission combo to insure there is no interference, I've done engine swaps on both of the cars in my avatar and I could do measurements off of what I have if you were doing a similar swap but there is still a chance that something wouldn't fit. If it can go wrong it will:( Example. I installed the engine and transmission after I rebuilt both of them (had done a trial fit so I could have the driveshaft cut) I didn't have the transmission fill tube but I was anxious to get the drive train put together. I get a new filler tube and it won't quite clear the firewall. I had to lift the engine, take out the biscuit mounts, drop the engine about and inch and it all went together. IMG_2464.JPG

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^^ Great advice.

4. ...usually on those trucks the trans mount needs to be lower than that xmember, you can remove it and fab another or cut out the center and make a drop'd center section that bolts in or welds in.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Montana 54 Chevy

Montana 54 Chevy

Great thanks guys. Definitely helps

6. And DO NOT get your M2 front stuff Johnny law or the Hoffman group !

The price is enticing, But you will regret it