Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy 210 suspension question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Carbomb, Jan 19, 2010.

1. im looking to put this thing as low to the ground as possible without going with a air ride set up. what suggestions might any of you have?? iam looking at a mustang 2 with drop spindles for the front but really dont know what i need to do to the back. Working on a budget so at home DIY would be great!

thanks guys,

2. chevrolayd

chevrolayd

do you want a 4 link or 3 link? do you still want to run a stock rear seat? Why mustang 2 why not modify the stock front end?

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Modified original front suspension (dropped uprights, steering arms, new/trimmed springs), with a disc brake upgrade (can be done later), and blocks (or springs, or both) in the back, would probably be easier on the budget, and a easier bolt-on.

Take a look at http://www.jamcosuspension.com for prices. They are on this board, and an Alliance Vendor (and good people).

4. thanks for the info and the link, ill definatly give them a shout.

5. russnunn

russnunn
    from Florida

I have heard of alot of guys using blocks on here search lowering 49-54 chevy on here someone just did it really low last year.

6. roddinron

roddinron

Here's mine, I used a Jim Meyer racing front suspension ONLY because I got it as a cast off from a friend, and it was cheaper than the cost of a rebuild and lowering the stock stuff.
    The back I reversed the eyes, flattened the arch, removed 2 leafs and added 3" home made blocks. I wouldn't go more that 3" blocks because of scrub line issues.
    Oh, and get a couple Great Danes, they help.:D

[​IMG]

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd recommend the FATMAN "ultra low" crossmember. puts the crossmember right on the frame rather than 2" below.

when I did my 49 I had about 4" (?) worth of block out back. I made a special spring perch where the u-bolts and nuts did not hang below the spring. with 15" wheels I had no scrub line issues. the lowest thing was the pin that holds the leaf together. the rim was a tiny bit below that

8. dirtydog53

dirtydog53
    from Chicago

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I used lowered springs w 2 out, 4" blocks, and bags for its first summer...its all coming out! In goes a set of truck arms (trailing arms) No seat or pinion angle issues, just a few forward trunk reliefs!! Check out dirtydog53 pics...hes got its all in pics for a killer set-up. Doing it twice sucks!

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that is some smart thinking.:)

11. Other options, Stepped a-arms and dropped uprights up front and dearched springs and 3" blocks in the rear. No scrublin issues that way. However, you will have to notch the frame. Todd

12. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

WTF? that car looked fine!! Were there major issues with your set up? Im going with the budget 2" lower coils and 3" lowering blocks...stay tuned:D

13. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

stay cheap pull the coils and cut them 1 1/2 ..... then take ur lower a arms and move the upright mount up and run some 3" or 4" blocks out back

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Ha..Thats what I said...WTF! Thanx for the props tho, I am happy w the way it looks too but lower is always better.. plus main reason is it road like crap!:(