Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '54 Chevy 210 post build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Looks great Kyle. When are you guys going to be up and running in the new shop?

2. cretin

cretin

Thanks, Most things are moved, just the guys personal toolboxes and customer cars are left. Those should be moved over tomorrow. So, we should be back to some work in the next couple days. We'll be settling on for a while I'm sure, but back to getting some work done real soon.

3. cretin

cretin

I've been super lazy about my personal projects for a while, but I had to be around the shop today to help wrap up a few details on the Packard to get it ready to leave to Reno for Hot August Nights. I took the opportunity while I was there to get some more work done on the '54 hood.

I got the fade away peak patch that I welded in a while back finished. Then before continuing to one piece the hood, I wrapped up some unfinished stuff on the hood flanges. I didn't take any photos of the flange work because its boring.

So, now I just need to finish one piecing the hood, and then it's finally done. I borrowed a handheld planishing hammer from a friend at the shop, so I plan to work on the hood on my lunch breaks this week. That tool sure made things go quicker and easier then trying to stretch my dumb short arms to the center of the hood!

Anyway, here is where I ended up today, after the last patch, I'll probably give it all a once over and do a little more smoothing, but I'm pretty satisfied with how it's coming along

IMG_7195.JPG IMG_7184.JPG IMG_7192.JPG IMG_7194.JPG

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! Guess that is the '32 Coupe in the background. Bob

cretin likes this.
  5. Looks great Kyle!

cretin likes this.
  6. cretin

cretin

I had hoped to wrap up the hood this week, but I didn’t get as much time on the hood as planned, so I didn’t get as far as I wanted to, and I added a little bit of work to it, but I’m still at it.

I put some time in on it on my lunch breaks, and I’ve gotten the last patch fit, and welded. So i still need to sand welds, and do some hammer and dolly work.

IMG_7201.JPG IMG_7203.JPG IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7218.JPG IMG_7226.JPG IMG_7227.JPG

I’ve decided to also modify the hood structure to one piece, so it will look like the hood was one piece from factory. Hopefully I’ll make some more progress, and be able to get some photos up this week. My sister will be in town next week, so I’m going to try to make all the progress I can before then, because I won’t make much during the visit.

7. Nice work Kyle. When you weld something up that flat do you go right from the tacks in picture 4 to full welds between the tacks?

8. cretin

cretin

Thanks Ian,
    To be honest, this is the first hood that I've welded a section down the middle since almost ruining another hood. That hood was many years ago, and I've learned a lot since, but I was still nervous.
    I know some people like to weld it all, then do all their hammering. But one something low crown like this, I prefer to keep control over it during welding.
    Here is what I do, after fitting the piece, I tack welded the piece in place, and hammered the tacks. I then weld in-between the tacks, doing a little bit of hammering right after the weld, just to bring the metal back up so it doesn't sink like crazy. I weld every fourth section. There is no scientific reason for that, that's just what I've chosen for reasons unknown to me. It just seems like a far enough distance in my head. That's how I've gotten to the point pictured.
    Now it'll take more hammering to get it into shape. I do have a large low on either side of the patch towards the front of the hood, but they will come up when I stretch the weld out a bit more.

kidcampbell71, J53 and K13 like this.
  9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are doing a beautiful job! Now I´ll shut up , watch your progress and learn:)

cretin likes this.
  10. Thanks for the run down on how you do it!

cretin likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Love the '54 Chevy project, but have to ask if the '36 3Window is being worked on. Bob

upload_2017-8-17_8-9-57.png

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. cretin

cretin

No Bob, that is going to be a down the road a bit project. I have it stored away. I got it on a straight frame now, but that's how it's going to stay until I get some other stuff done.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. cretin

cretin

I haven't posted anything in a while, but things have not been sitting idle. I haven't really taken any photos because the current work isn't very interesting. I redid the rear suspension, and got the rest of the frame prepared to go to powder coat. So, now that the frame is off at the powdercoater, I'm getting suspension and engine cleaned up and ready for frame assembly once it comes back.
    Got the engine cleaned up today and shot some black on it.

53215342202__1DB15287-EF20-4EEE-803E-0DBBE509908B.JPG

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Fern 54 and 3 others like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always nice to see an update on your projects. Bob

15. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. cretin

cretin

Thanks guys! I hope to make more regular updates. Hopefully, I'll get the frame back next week, and make some good progress.

Ian, I'm going to have to send you a message and tell you what happened to Brett at Frankie's.

chryslerfan55 and 55Deso like this.
  17. cretin

cretin

I had to put some shiney bits on. Trying to decide if I'm going to polish the intake or not.

IMG_7389.JPG

18. cretin

cretin

I went with the polished intake.

IMG_7409.JPG

19. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Looks good!

cretin likes this.
  20. cretin

cretin

Got my frame back from powdercoat on Thurs. There are some more parts not pictured, but I'm excited to get going on final assembly for the frame. Last night and today I got started on reassembling the rear end until I figured out that I have no idea what I'm doing trying to set up a ring and pinion, so I'm going to take it to someone who knows what they are doing on Monday. So in the meantime, I worked a little bit more on preparing the engine and trans to go in.
    Tomorrow should have the engine and trans in, and the front suspension on.

IMG_7437.JPG IMG_7438.JPG

21. cretin

cretin

I got a late start today, I was pretty low on energy. But I still got the engine and trans in and front suspension in today. Too dark to get a good photo. Dropping off the rear end tomorrow, and should get to put the good looking engine bits on for good.

IMG_7448.jpg

22. cretin

cretin

Got the real engine goodies put on for good.
    I'll get my rear end back tomorrow, then I can make it a roller and move on to plumbing and exhaust.

IMG_7450.JPG

23. patterg2003

patterg2003

Great Work. Thank you for taking the time to share. My first car in 67 was a rusty 53 Belair hardtop so there is a natural affinity with 53/54's. I really like the lines of these cars.

chryslerfan55 and cretin like this.
  24. cretin

cretin

Thanks! A '54 Chevy was one of the first cars I did real custom work on, and I fell in love with it. I really like the lines too, so I didn't want to heavily modify it. With the exception of the chop everything I'm doing is really mild custom modifications.

25. There's some really great stuff in here.
    I'll be trying your cleco trick out really soon.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. cretin

cretin

Thanks.
    Let me know how that works out for you. I’ve found that personally sometimes it works really well and sometimes it’s easier without the tabs.
    It normally works pretty well with a little bit of planning. Or, just make it with the tabs because you can always cut them off if they are in the way for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Wrench666

Wrench666

Did you lap weld those pieces in or cut out the strip and butt weld
    Thanks. Andrew

28. Wrench666

Wrench666

Hoping to do some similar work on my dads 51 Chevy.
    You have skills man love what your doing.
    Andrew

29. cretin

cretin

Thanks man.
    The hood is butt welded. If it was lapped, I wouldn’t be able to stretch the weld out and fix distortion, which is very important on a low crown panel like the top of the hood.

I always butt weld exterior sheetmetal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Wrench666 like this.