Register now to get rid of these ads!

'54 Chev Heater Control Valve???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrenchbender54, Jul 14, 2006.

1. I'm in the process of rebuilding my heater control valve. I already replaced the seal, and I started cleaning the rest of the valve up before I reassemble it. I got to looking at it, and started wondering how this thing works. The part I'm uncertain about is the thermostatic spring and bellows assembly on the top. It also has a threaded shaft with a nut to adjust the tension on the spring. Common sense would say that the adjustment nut is to fine tune the point at which the valve opens. My question is why?
    The aftermarket valve assembly, from National Chevy, doesn't have this.You set the lever for cold/warm/hot, and the cable opens the valve none/half way/all the way. So what is it's purpose? What's the proper operation /function of this valve?

2. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

did you try calling national chevy and asking them? i know they sell used parts that arent listed and they seem to have a good knowledge of parts for 54s and where to find them.
    creepy

3. Yeah, they'd probably be able to tell me, otherwise, I'll just put it back in and see what happens. I'm not affraid that it WON'T work, Just wondering HOW it works.