Register now to get rid of these ads!

'54 Chev Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrenchbender54, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Has anyone done a disc brake swap on a '49-54 chev car? I know that there are several places that sell conversion kits for them, can anyone recommend one? I've been looking at the MP Brakes kit. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

2. tooslow54

tooslow54

I did the MP kit and it went together smoothly. Hardest part was getting the bearing adapters on the spindle but with a little "persuasion" they went right on. Unfortunately my motor just went in this last weekend and It's gonna be awhile before I see how well it works.

FYI: I looked at a few and although the MP kit looked like it was more $$ it was actually complete and came with new calipers (I believe the ECI has reman calipers). Let me know if you want to see some pics.

3. Thanks for the info. I've also noticed that some of the kits don't come with hoses, etc...

4. chopped52

chopped52
    from the twin

is there a website with those kits on it

5. tooslow54

tooslow54

Yeah, I forgot about those as well. By the time I added everything up the MP kit seemed like the way to go. Here's a pic. Quality seems real good.

Good Luck

Aaron

Attached Files:

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Stay tuned, I'll be posting a tech thread with part #s and and pics as soon as I'm done. I used the basic eci kit and o'reilly parts.

7. usmile4

usmile4

I've thought of using the ECI kit and I talked with Buffalo Steve from Buffalo Enterprizes about his disc brake and dropped spindle kits. Where can I get info on the MP kit? do you know if the MP kit moves the wheels out any?

I was going to cut front springs and eventually bag it and Buffalo Steve said that dropped spindles are a must if any lowering is considered in order to keep the steering geometry right.

I would be interested in those tech articles with pics.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

ECI kit moved the wheels out. If I didn't know that, I wouldn't be able to tell by looking. I added up all my bills, I have $600 in the disc conversion, master cylinder, res. pressure valves and lines, adapters, fittings. I did it all in the driveway, except I used a welder for the bracket. Once I put the lines on the right way, I can't imagine going back. see post "bad caliper" it stops with MUCH more confidence, and the rears aren't even doing their fair share. Once I put on a combination valve, it will be safe enough to enjoy around town.

my .02, drums were fine when the car went 55 mph. Mine does 55 in third, and cruises at 90 in 5th. I waited on the brake upgrade and it almost ended horribly. Keep a close eye on the fitting at the rear brake line. Mine worked loose and I lost brakes at a busy intersection at lunch.

$600 is alot cheaper than new front sheetmetal.

9. tooslow54

tooslow54

Try: http://www.mpbrakes.com/viewdb1704b.htm

I believe they also move the wheels out, but it is only by a small fraction of an inch.

10. I'll look forward to that tech. post. Thanks for the help.