Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Buick dash in 56 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by James1956, Jan 19, 2022.

1. James1956

James1956

Hey guys Im curious if anyone knows if a 1954 Buick dash will fit in a 1956 Chevy and if, not what modifications would be needed, also is the 54 and 55 Buick dashes the same? Thanks

2. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

Why a Buick dash in a Chevy?

302GMC and olscrounger like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A tape measure is your friend. In general, the shape is very close but that is not to say, the same. Almost certainly, modifications would be necessary for well finished fit.

‘54 thru ‘56 GM ‘B’ body cars, Buick and Olds, share the same body architecture, but I think you will find differences between ‘54/‘55/‘56 Buick dash details. ‘55/‘56/‘57 Chevy were GM ‘A’ body, similar in architecture, but dimensionally slightly smaller.

Ray

pprather likes this.
  4. mite fit in the trunk.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

James -

IF...you are a true hot rodder / customizer...you won't ask "how...to do something". Or, "if anyone else has done it".
    You'll..."just do it !"

Simple fact they it won't be a bolt in. May take some cutting, some welding, some hammering and forming.
    BUT...the true builders will...just do it.

Mike

6. Like Mike said, it will fit but it won't bolt in, you have to make it fit. HRP

49ratfink likes this.
  7. chopped

chopped

Anyone else wonder if these odd first time never seen again posts are a troll? Asking for a friend. Been a number of them over the past year.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

1. yes it will fit.
    2. you will have to cut it and weld it. maybe hit it with a hammer.

Just Gary and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Thing to keep in mind when you swap dashes in a popular car like a 56 is will anyone else think its neat when it comes time to sell? Theres been a 55 sedan delivery for sale in western Nevada for a couple of years with a dash out of a 80"s vette. It may never sell.

bchctybob likes this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

What are you building? A daily driver? gasser? custom? Styling-wise, the ‘54 Buick dash is nice but looks somewhat old and dated compared to the Corvette-inspired ‘55-56 Chevy dash. But if you’re building a custom I can see why you would want to make a change. In any case, it won’t be a bolt-in.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

James, Take a look at some 1954 and 1955 Buick dashes and I think you will gradually decide that the 1956
    Chevy dash is the better choice. Buick dashes are massive and too large for a 55-56 Chevy. Don't make the mistake of using the Buick dash, just because you have one available.

Take a look at 1955 and 56 customs of the past for better ideas. Open this Google search and peruse the sites.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=195...7j0i22i30l2.7248j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    Be sure to look at this site for customs.

https://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11...om_cars/56_chevy_customs/50s-60s-built-1956-/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    olscrounger likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A 56 Chevy has a perfectly fine dash (in my opinion)!

olscrounger and Just Gary like this.
  13. williebill

williebill

54 Buick dash is big, round, has a great roll across the bottom, has a row of round gauges setting in an engine turned panel, and either 2 big round gauges in front of the driver, or a horizontal speedo, depending on series, or maybe if it's 54 or 55. Good looking dash, IMHO.
    I put one in an older car with a V'd windshield, and just cut the round part next to the windshield into a V, and welded it to the framework of the original dash. That way, it bolts in like the original, but only the perimeter of the original dash is used.
    EDIT. I originally went looking to buy a mid 50s Olds dash, the gorgeous one, but Olds welded their dashes in. Buick bolted in. The guy that owned the yard wouldn't let me use anything but a hacksaw to remove the Olds dash (scared of fire in his heavily wooded yard), and it was my last day in his yard, so I regretfully said goodbye to the pristine green Olds dash. That yard is long gone, hope somebody got that Olds dash.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022