Register now to get rid of these ads!

54-56 olds Heatercore all the Same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56oldsDarrin, Oct 13, 2012.

1. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

My 56 Olds 88 heater is leaking, Its my only car, so I need to drive it

I have a heater core out of a 54 olds 98 and all the tin that goes inside the car,
    the tin all looks the same.

Am I ok having the 54 core rebuilt (or matched up)?
    or do they use different cores?

2. Just checked my cross reference book for the Olds and the darn heater core is not listed so I can't help much. Maybe Tony would know at Ross Racing.???

3. appaRATus

appaRATus

4. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

I believe there both the same 54-56

5. flatoz

flatoz

Darin,

Just check its not your heater tap. I had the same issue and swore black and blue it was the core leaking. I even pulled it out and took it to a shop they checked it and couldn't
    find a leak but said that maybe some crud blocked the hole. I took it home put it back in and again it started to drip.

I pulled the core out again and used the hose to try and flush the heater core and ended up killing it with too much pressure, so had it recorded... Put in the new record and guess what, it leaked

It was the heater tap.

Pull your glove box out and get a good torch and look up into where your heater tap comes into the cabin and look to see if there are any signs of leaking, as I can tell you getting the heater core out it hard work.

I guess one way to check the core before removing it would be to disconnect the hoses so you had the to going in and out of the heater isolated and then use the hose to apply some pressure and check if its still leaking into the cab.

I just know from experience pulling the core isn't the easiest job, and only made worse when it's not the issue!

Hope this helps.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

If you need parts or questions, call 877-542-8192. They will fix you up with made in USA parts.

7. BJR

BJR

Heater control valve leak.

8. flatoz

flatoz

How did you go with this?

9. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I had changed the valve, years ago (I used a ford pickup heater valve...15.00 bucks).
    The 54 & 56 Cores turned out to be the same number.
    So I bit the bullet, and spent $190.00 having the 54 core... REcored.
    and then just swapped them.
    now it works,

10. flatoz

flatoz

good to hear,

would be interested in the ford pick up valve you used, as I need to put a new valve in mine - again - so if you know what year and model would love to know.
    The originals are pretty pricey.

11. 55olds88

55olds88

I always imagined it was the core in mine leaking and bypassed it, wonder if its worth taking a look at the valve...

12. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

68*72 has 2 ends and a cable valve, 70s units are like a "H" so coolant can keep flowing back to the motor when the heater is closed.
    I used the 68, but I had to hide another pull cable to work it

13. flatoz

flatoz

You said it was pick up, so just F100? etc?

Paul, you should check your valve, I know I was annoyed as in the end I paid for a re-core and a valve. Stupidity hurts in the wallet sometimes...

14. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

F100*F250 all of them

15. I had the same problem