Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 210 trim removal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leachafreak, Sep 29, 2010.

1. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

ok,just got a 54 210 and im wanting to get it painted.everyone is telling me how hard it is to remove and put back on the trim around the windows and top of body.what is the best way to remove and put back on the trim?anyone got a post,pics,or video on trim removal or install?where is can i find trim clips at a good price incase i break some?is there a good removal and install tool?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

the trim around the windows is actually in the window rubber, you'll have to pull the glass. The rear window also has some screws in the upper corners. Cesar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well i think you just got to get in there and get it done..
    as far as the clips, i think National Chevy Assoc. has them and other trim specialty shops..im sure someone will have a link to post for the clips..

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

by top of the body are you referring to the belt line trim?

it is all removed from the inside. you can access the nuts from inside the trunk, and on the sides you will need to remove your inside door panels. you need to remove them to get to the nuts on the chrome rear fender pieces as well.

as stated the trim around the glass is in the rubber.

5. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

im mainly wanting to remove the trim going around the top of the body below the windows.thats all the trim thats on the car besides around the front and rear windows.

Attached Files:

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yup... it's all from the inside. should be fun getting to the clips under the dash.

car looks nice... I wouldn't paint it.. but I'm a cheap ass.

7. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

coool!thanks...the paint on the car is nice...im not a big fan of blue and i was going to paint it while i still have the funds...if i dont do it now it will prob never get done...

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

Once you gut the interior it's pretty easy to get to the nuts that hold that trim in place. Wear long sleeves or you'll scrape up your forearms on all the edges.
    You'll need a small ratchet.
    Getting to some of them involves some awkward positions.
    But once the nuts are off you just gently pry it loose and pull it right off. (KEEP the rubber-backed washers - they seal out rain!) Some of them have to slide off of a clip at the end. (I think the ones under the windshield? It's been a few years since I did mine.)
    Your car looks clean so you shouldn't have a problem with the clips breaking.

9. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

yeah,the car just got painted about a year ago...so everything has already been tooken off and put back on...so hopefully the people before me went thru breaking the bolts loose...the car has had a frame up resto...so everything i have done to it has been easier not dealing with breaking rusty bolts...thank god...

10. fathers54

fathers54

Nice car! do you still have it or any pictures from the restoration.

11. Harris

Harris

Damn glad this thread rose to the top - saved me searching for the info I need - goona be removing trim next week!:)

12. take the front seat out to do under the dash

i got a car that the seat adjusts way back and most of the nuts were missing under the dash actually a nutdriver works well like a snap on with the deep hole:D