Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 53 to 56 f100 sheet metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dorf, Sep 10, 2014.

1. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

anyone have any good ideas on how to make the hood and fenders line up ?

2. Move them around.

3. willymakeit

willymakeit

Go to the FTE [Ford Truck Enthusiast] site. There is a good and complete article there. For me the site is slow.
    I have one and you have to start right. Hard to explain. Always remember they didn't have good gaps to start and the hood hinges are a pain, which is why there are a lot of tilt hoods. With the original hinges you still had to shove the back of the hood down. Ive spent a lot of hours welding to the edges of the doors to set gaps. What started out as a driver has taken on a life of its own.
    Built my own bed,stake pockets, side fillers and wedge cut the hood,so far. Hope this helps.

4. One thing most owners seldom ever pick up on is the left and right front fenders are not the same. The crest at the leading edge often have different arches. What a pain in the behind. I've also found on two frames the center core support holes not to be centered between the frame rails. The list goes on. The factory seemed to only care if the Hood stayed down, not how well it fit or even worked. You also need to find where the Hood goes over center on the way down and stop before it does, then raise the fenders to it. What a Blister!
    The Wizzard

5. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

They weren't concerned about how close the sheet metal gaps were. They just slapped them together and sent them out the door. Pre-delivery at the dealership was were they corrected a lot of things. At least thats how we did it at the Ford Truck dealership I worked at during the '70s.

6. hood first

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Make sure the cab mounts and the rad' support are in good shape.

8. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Carbs and Chrome is right. You must fit the hood to the cowl the hang everything else to fit the hood sides, but having said that I could never get the back of the hood to drop down using the hinges. I installed a No-Limit tilt hood kit and never looked back,it worked like a charm. Ralphie

9. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

thanks for the replies . I have a pcc tilt on it now ,I am not impressed with it and the lack of info and adjustments. called and ask if the latch remained he said that is a good question I will check ,the line was hung up .called again the call was transferred it rang for 1/2 hour no one answered . I have a large gap on the right side and the left side is above the fender in the front. I am beginning to think the hood is twisted