Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Planning on it. Should be a great show ! Let me know about the builders section. Think I scored some heads yesterday so I won't have to rob the 54. Now it's cam and lifter time.

els and loudbang like this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Just got back from AMS Friday Night Drags. Cody and the old 53 wagon had a good night. Went to the finals, got beat by a fender. Dang ! Still had fun. Getting up at 5am and headed to Shadyside to watch some Gasser Action ! Big Buford AMS.jpg

3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Just added another one to the list. Got the Harris 53 on Friday. Was a cool car in the Sixties, Hawk Dash, Small Block Chevy, Hurst floor shift. Maybe I can salvage it. Same same on all of them, lots of rust to cut out !! 0428171026.jpg 0428171110.jpg

4. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Man, wish I could get a hold of the p-head that ruined the turned aluminum face of the dash robbing the gauges out of this one !! On the bright side, If it weren't for idiots, we wouldn't have anyone to curse or laugh at !!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    els, dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  5. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Shady Side was Awesome, have to be part mountain goat to keep your footing if you get off the pavement !!!!! Tony was Great, love the Dodge, Congrats again Zak !!, Thanks Rusty for talking with me about the Bad Banana rear suspension, close final with you and Birch !

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    els, Bad Banana and loudbang like this.
  6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got to noseing around and noticed the rear-end on the Harris 53 is a 55 Chevy type. Bonus (far as I'm concerned).

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I guess Harris changed that rear axle after I sold it to him back in '67. I had 3 complete Stude V8 rears with it when I sold it to him, all were set up with brakes and all so that I could change the whole assy. to go from 3.07 to 3.54, and 4.56. The 3.07 was a limited slip Auburn cone clutch type.
    Bought a whole '56 Golden Hawk for the princely sum of $56 to get that dash Kept all the susp. and running gear and sold the body and that big old Packard V8 for scrap.

els, dana barlow and Fiddle Picker like this.
  8. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got that kind of energy today Dave, I could use the help !! He offered it to me 20 years ago and I didn't go get it. Wish I had.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What little energy I still have is about to get used up:eek: Clutch in BGII is slipping just slightly now that I have the engine back to producing some power:oops: Going to call McCleod here in a bit and order some new stuff. Need to accomplish that in time for SIM on May 19.

els, loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  10. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hear of the Class Action on Camp Lejeune's tainted water supply? Hmm, I was there for infantry training in 1972. What's up ? Anybody know ?

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Let me know when you find some details, as I was there some time in the 50-60s.

els likes this.
  12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I hear you. May take my 54 Coupe to SIM. Got to put Stock front springs back in it to raise it back to stock height, find my brake problem (ass comes out of the seat pressing the pedal so hard to whoa it down) change the hood scoop to old style. Better get busy on that one !

13. loudbang

loudbang

There is a team investigating and several types of medical problems will be paid for. Had to have been there for at least 30 days from the 60's onward. I get the newletters from them and I will send the next one to you. They come every so often when there is news.

els and Fiddle Picker like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Fiddlepicker. You have more race cars than time. Trying to run 3 cars . How about a loan so I can finish one car. Oh yea, I forgot about your son is building the Volvo too. How is that going? You must be stretched pretty thin with time.
    Sorry we didn't get together at Shadyside. I never found the shady they were talking about. It was warm even for a Florida boy.

15. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I enjoy saving them from the crusher and I don't like selling them so I try to keep them going. If you think about it, you can do a "mild" race car way cheaper and quicker than a restoration. I also choose to drive old cars instead of new. You'd be surprised at how far the 500 dollar or much more new car payment goes on buying and updating old cars. And over the 5 to 7 year period of payments you can have one or more toys and they appreciate in value ! Erks my better half when my old car that I paid 500 bucks for in 3 years is worth more than her Newer one after depreciation ! My plan was to get them running as a rod then later on when I could afford it do a restoration. Keep finding rod fodder and keeping myself busy. Gets to be a pain sometimes but I enjoy it. I could sell them all and build one Nice,Very Fast Car, but I get attached. The Volvo is on hold until he gets the 66 Rambler updated with the new turbo power plant. That's what his generation is really in to. Probably 6 more months then back to the Volvo. Old wallet gets thin doing two at a time and like me he gets attached. Rambler was his first hotrod and he had some success with it and it is the quicker of the two to get going. We found a shady spot at Shadyside (not much) and had poor phone service so I couldn't call. Whenever I walked around I looked for you !

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  16. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thank You. Semper-Fi !

17. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

54 stude new stance.jpg To show I'm not sitting on my a**, getting the 54 ready to go to SIM in a couple weeks (hopefully the Gasser goes next year). Still doing body work and other stuff on the Gasser , coming along. Spent the day swapping front springs back to the stock ones. Wow, I forgot how much they raise the car ! Got a few more things to do to it, scoop,brakes, and some needed underside cleanup and touchup. Here's the new stance.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Brings back memories, Johnny:) Don't think anybody at SIM will object to those wheels, they aren't billet and they ain't "Donks".
    What do you plan on for a scoop change?
    Got the trans outta BGII today and the problem is exactly what I thought disc worn enough to let the fingers on PP come back into hyd. to brg and get depressed about .135". Gonna get some stuff on order Mon. with 2nd day air if they're in stock. Hope so:rolleyes:
    In meantime I'll clean it all up and have it ready to install when the parts get here. Who knows, might find me lining up beside you in the staging lanes:D
    I already know Grumpy Ed is laying for me:eek:

els and Hang'emHigh like this.
  19. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Wish I could get someone for sure to ok the wheels. I've got some steel wheels for both ends if I need them. Couldn't find a number or a contact to ask. Would be pissed if I towed all the way up there and couldn't participate !! Going to use part of the existing scoop to make one. Cut here and there, add some, remove a lot etc. It will look old style. Ten4 and good luck with your clutch stuff. SIM should be fun ! I'll take the right lane.........

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    els, Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Too bad you are so far away, you could borrow my 15x8 slots for the rear. I know they are legal. 20170204_112347.jpg

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The rules specify no billet or directional wheels and no large diameter aftermarket (to paraphrase), and these wheels are non of that. Have called Johnny this am and given him some info on how to contact a member of the staff for, hopefully, a clarification.
    If he was entering as a participant in SE Gassers event, no they wouldn't be legal.

22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

South cross, I know those wheels. How are you? How is the build going? I still have the 15 x7 torque thrust. 5x4.5 b/p

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

The build is going slow as funds are tight and my workload for other peoples cars takes a lot of my time. I can't work 18 hours a day like I used to.

24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Boy do I know the hrs per day. I can barely keep up the lawn and house chores. Sometimes I can sneak in a hr or 2 on my projects.

25. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Yep Mike. I snoozed on those wheels and you beat me to them. Want to sell ? Jim, Wish the Torque thrusts were 8.5 in. Thanks Dave for the info, will txt him tomorrow. Got my scoop cut out. looks good. Got to mount it and do some sort of touch-up on the hood where the old scoop was.

els, loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

No, I won't sell them because they fit perfectly and I would just have to buy another set of Southeast Gasser approved wheels.

27. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I figured you were attached. I'm still looking for a set. Have the front ones in the wings waiting on them. Like you said slow process.

28. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got the scoop cut up and re-mounted and removed the front bumper. Looks totally different than 2 days ago ! Still have to touch-up hood. 54 no bumper.jpg 54 scoop cut.jpg

els and Terrible80 like this.
  29. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Talked with the SIM guy and sent him a pic of the wheels and he said they are ok. Great !! Won't have to spend that time and money changing up.

els, dana barlow and jim snow like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Are you going to run the SNDR race at Brainerd in June ?

els likes this.