Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Here's a pic of the gouge in the scatter shield from the centrifugal arms on the first clutch. scattershield scrape.jpg

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Up-graded the look of the Fiddle Picker. Cut and flared the quarters, added the slots painted to match front wheels and lost the front bumper. These shots are at Atlanta Motor Speedway Friday Night Drags 7.13.18 during a SEGA exhibition. ams 1.jpg ams 3.jpg

3. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

How’d the clutch feel? Didn’t get a chance to really talk to you, but the quarters looked killer!

4. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good, Johnny!

5. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Zak ! Still got adjusting to do on the clutch and starting line rpm (live and learn). I put 2 rounds in it and it got better, still have 2 rounds left. I have been leaving at 4k with it slipping a little, didn't work after I tightened it up, pullled the motor way down when I left. Gonna try 6k see how that works.

6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks !! Had to think about cutting it for a while, bit the bullet !

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

About time ! Now that thing looks fast setting still . Like the wheels.
    6 grand sounds more like it. Got to get high enough rpm's to find the next weak link.

8. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Mike, I hear ya !

loudbang likes this.
  9. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Went to Baileyton, Ala with SEGA this week-end. Other than the rain it was fun. Fiddle Picker finally made some passes without clutch slippage and qualified #3 of 14 B&W Fiddle Picker.jpg in first round. Happy with that ! A new problem cropped up,, not enough air-gap so when the clutch heated up it pulled me through the starting line beams every time. Going to re-do the clutch linkage to get a little more travel and see how it goes. Cool B&W photo from Caleb Sewell this week-end.

10. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Way to go! That had to make you happy after all that work!

11. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Still a long way to go. Looks like next season before I get the 306 ready. Happy with the way it drives and hooks. got to get some HP ! I'm happy it runs faster than it did with the automatic plus the 260 lbs the conversion added !!

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Baileyton is a fun track. Left there one morning at 4am.
    Keep at it . Good luck.

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  13. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Took the Scatter Shield off today and saw some issues. First off, I had a .140 thick balance plate between the crank and flywheel for external balance. Made me have to run the pivot ball short to keep the fork from colliding with the pressure plate cover bolts. Next, I had a lighter duty Ram throw out bearing installed to try to get some room (.250 shorter than the one Ram sent with my kit) It didn't hold up and started spinning in the fork and ate the fork up. So, after chatting with Quain, he told me to remove .020 of shims to lower the clutch fingers. Check. I'm removing the balance plate and installing a balance pad on the fly wheel, replacing the fork, raising the pivot ball and going back to the heavy duty throw out bearing and try it again. Whew ! I think this all is some kind of test of my character !!

14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Forgot to mention, I bought a hydraulic system for my clutch thinking I didn't have enough travel. When I read the instructions (imagine that) the slave cylinder had 1 3/8 inch pull action. So I crawled under my heap and checked my home-made mouse trap linkage, it has 2 inches of pull action (with the pedal stop removed), so it's staying. Save the hydraulic stuff for the 53.

dirty old man, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  15. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Makes me laugh just reading that! Had the same thought sooooo many times. That's where so many "projects for sale" ads come from and where so many winning cars come from.... See you in the winners circle!

dirty old man, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  16. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Haha ! I can tell you, if hard work and trial and error, repeat, repeat gets to the winner's circle, I'm due !! LOL !!!

17. Dang man hate it for ya. You have been struggling. Seems like I tear my car down every race and some guys never even have to change the oil. Maybe the jarheads are doomed to get the green weenie the rest of our days.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

With enough mustard even green weenies are edible Tony.
    At least my dog thinks so!

19. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Yikes !! Fear the Green Weenie ! If I can get my flywheel back in time, still gonna give it the ol OORAH
    Go, and try for Paradise ! I'm going either way, wouldn't miss it !

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

We will see you at Paradise. Let me know if you need any help.

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Some from Paradise Dragstrip in Calhoun Georgia from the Southeast Gassers race today. I posted a bunch of pictures on the thread that is linked in my signature. 16E5B523-0877-4A39-8642-14A84CB6900C.jpeg

22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Cool Enloe. Great to finally shake your hand !!

Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  23. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Another Great Caleb Sewell B&W photo of the Fiddle Picker at Paradise Dragstrip ! Paradise B&W.jpg

24. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

That person sitting top row on the left, loved the launch!!!

25. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

26. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

As if I needed another project, I couldn't help myself. I'm not a Ford man, but I couldn't turn down this little car, 1961Falcon, pretty good body, rounded up a 302 today. Hmm... SEGA Super Stocker? falcon 2.jpg falcon 1.jpg

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Johnny , good find. I have a freshly machined 289 block and crank if you need one. I also have a line on 429 Cobra jet block and crank that is freshly machined if you want to really make a statement with that Falcon.

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  28. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Mike. Not sure the route with this one yet. I am going to start looking for a clutch, brake pedal set up and engine mounts for 289/302. Currently set up w/ 6/auto (no engine/trans). Picked up a 59 inch wide Ford 9" housing with Mark Williams 31 spline axles. Axles have long enough splines to cut down to fit this car ! Also needs a front bumper. Found a low mileage 302 long block locally. Will see where all this goes !

loudbang likes this.
  29. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Oh yeah! A '61 too, that's awesome. Look forward to seeing what you decide with this one!

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

This was my old Falcon. not a super stock, but a poser gasser street car. 10 percent engine set back. 4 speed. Pontiac rear. 2013-10-10 11.55.36 (1).jpg 2013-10-10 11.57.11.jpg