Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like a lot of hardware. :)

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Johnny, we need to talk about the clutch and flywheel and associated machine work.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Dave, I sent the fly wheel and studs to General Machine with Cody to get the work done. Thanks.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Glad to see somebody is making some progress. I have started packing up my shop. A little over 3 weeks until we are on our way to Athens, Tn. Could not find what we were looking for so we rented a house and bought some land to build a shop and house later. The rental house has a garage so I can work on the Morris Minor there.
    Are you going to be ready for Shady Side ?

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Good Luck on your move. :)

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Sure trying to make Shady Side. Doesn't look like the 306 will be ready by then. We just got the piston and rod setup mocked to get deck squaring and height. Got to get it milled, whittle on the piston domes for clearance, chamber work on the heads etc. If I only had to do the engine it would be ready but working on everything else to get the car ready. Guess I'll run the low-comp motor in it now (378 ci.) and hope the other motor will be ready by then. At least I will make a showing.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Glad to hear you going to try and make it with either engine. We are expecting the largest turnout of cars and spectators at the first event at Shady Side the SEGA has ever seen.

9. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Finally got ladder bars done and installed ! Still have to adjust. Also got the Hurst shifter out of the other Stude to fab mounts and linkage. lb3.jpg

10. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got the shifter relocation bracket made. Puts linkage in line with shift arms. Working on linkage tubular rods with heim joints and working on handle for reverse. shifter.jpg

loudbang, Hang'emHigh and 48fordnut like this.
  11. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got the tubular linkage finished for the forward gears. Works great ! Have to fab a lever and linkage for reverse. The old back plate on the shifter was rough and pitted bad ! Hard for a rookie to get pretty welds on that. linkage.jpg

loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looks plenty stout. I will crew for you at Shadyside if you need help.
    Not so far for me to drive anymore.

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Johnny, your block is back at Tommy's shop. Tomorrow I will get measurements for that oil line extension.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Sounds Great Mike !! Be good to see you !

loudbang likes this.
  15. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Great !! Didn't know it was back.

loudbang likes this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

block, not lock

17. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Still making progress. Block almost done, acquired a nice roller cam and I'm working on ports and chambers on the heads. Trying to get the 306 ready for Shady Side. If not I will run the motor in it now. Getting close !! working on heads.jpg

18. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

slots.jpg Finally got some slots on the property. 2 American 15x8.5 and 2 skinnys. Got to decide which car gets them (still trying to not cut fenders on the 54, the 8.5s won't fit without cutting) !

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Those front slots would look better on my Morris. I will stop by and pick them up so you won't have to decide. Save you the stress.
    Seriously if you run across another set of skinnies I am looking for a set.

20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Simple choice, the slots go on what ever car you run at SEGA events. You can run those others elsewhere!

21. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hard to find. took me 6 months to get those here. They need a good sanding and polishing.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I hear ya Dave . May run the skinny Cragars on the 54 and repaint my rear wheels that fit in the fenders, and put the slots on the 53. Don't know yet. Might get a 6-pack and cut the fenders on the 54. May take a case !

loudbang likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have a whole pack of sawzall blades. I used a jig saw on my car. Mine were easy as the rear fenders unbolt . Then I figured out how to flare them using my bead roller.

24. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey I cut the other 2 cars with a pistol grip cut-off wheel and a worn down disk, then flared them with a home made wooden tool I use to put windshield lips on dragster bodies. Trying to hold off. The only thing I've cut so far is the front inner wells just enough for the headers. That darn thing has a real good body !

loudbang likes this.
  25. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Been a while. Still at it. Mounted rear shocks, added some more bars to the roll bar kit (never put them in when I first built it to access rear seat), mounted remote master switch and rod and sanded and painted my skinny Cragars and put on a set of SEGA legal Moroso Drag Specials. Never mind the various wires and lines, having to re-route everything to get them outside the frame rails. 4 speed goes in this week finally. painted cragars.jpg rear shocks.jpg remote cut-off.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Keep thrashing and keep an eye out for some rough weather tonight.

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Did the worst part of the storm go north of you ? It went south of us thank God. Fell sorry for those folks who were in the way. Been through the tornado's when they went through Cleveland, Tn.

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm about 6-8 miles South of Johnny and I thought that most of the storm went North of me, but then I went to sleep shortly after Midnight.
    Just talking to my son, who lives about a mile South of me and he said the worst of the storm was between 2&3 AM, and it was rough for awhile, but I slept through it.:rolleyes::confused:

29. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Must have. We got a light show and high winds at mid-night for about 30 minutes. Few small limbs down. Blessed !!

loudbang likes this.
  30. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Steady at it, trying to make Shady Side. Got the skinny Cragars sanded and painted, mounted some Moroso Drag Specials, got the mid-plate in, 4 speed mocked up, reverse handle and linkage done. Trying to finish fab work and get down to bolt ons. Changed a lot of stuff 4 speed.jpg clutch pedal.jpg painted cragars.jpg reverse handle.jpg !

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018