Register now to get rid of these ads!

'53 Pontiac Sedan Delivery...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rad Rob, Jun 5, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

This is what I'm starting with:
    '53 delivery, stock everything (missing engine parts, trans parts)
    '83 camaro 305/t-5 (from '89 camaro)/posi 3.73 rear/wiring harness/swinging pedal assembly/steering column

I plan on putting the drivetrain from the camaro into the poncho, putting new floors and rockers in her, keeping the stock interior and steering column if I can, swapping disk brakes up front (where can I get them?) wiring it up and driving it. I need some help finding body parts, a radiator that will work with the 305, rear springs that will let it sit low (stockers are cracked) and I need to know what I can do about the lower controll arm I have that's missing the coil bucket and shock mount.

Thanks for any help and I'll be keeping you posted on the build!

-Rob:cool:

2. Darby

Darby

What's the difference in track width between the Poncho and the Camaro? Subframe swaps aren't for everybody, but if you want front discs, a suspension repair job, and motor/trans mounts for the SBC, you've got all that in the Camaro already. It's involved, but once it's done, you've solved most of your front end needs.

3. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

If the pontiac is the same as the chev? If so, check out http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/ for their rear end kit and other usefull odds'n'ends.

Heres my comments relating to my 47 Chev Sedan Delivery, which may or may not be totally irrelevant to your 53 Pontiac?

I used the CE rear end kit, it seems pretty good. I had to cut the wheel well to fit the shock mounting brace (they told me this in advance, so it was no shock). Mine chev also came with a camaro (79 I think?) front subframe. you wouldnt want it to be any wider. I will be getting custom made front wheels as there is no room for any offset without tyre rub - unless your tires are below the fender lip. It came with 14x7 mags and they rub. I am going to use a 15x6 front wheel with 4" backspace on it.

Oh one other thing, there is an alliance vendor who sells the CE kits. I found out after I got mine, but if you look up the list and your a member you should get a good price.

cheers
    ricki

4. olderone

olderone

Can you send me a Good side shot of this Car????.
    I've never knew that any of these were even made WOW It Looks really COOL.
    Olderone

5. LOL just get to his webshots album, and steal:p
    [​IMG]

IMHO I'd skip swaping subframes, opens up a wole nuther can-o-worms I've yet to sort thru myself. oh well

6. evilone0528

evilone0528

I have allmost no good info to give you,but I have to tell you,that is one BAD ASS car.My first hot rod was a 53 2 door cheif.I wish you well with yours.I am a paint and body guy,so if you need any info in that department let me know!

EVIL

7. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

the only thing worth useing out of the camaro might be the motor and trans, if you can figure out the computor to make the motor run. the rear is way to wide and the front is strut type not a removeable sub frame. i hope you bought the camaro cheap.

8. slammed

slammed

Measure the track width of both. Look into Fatman's Fab. and see his product's. MII will be another option. Dropped spindle's and disk's in one swap. Wiring? Painless outta TX. Rear spring's: Eaton outta MI. Posie's from PA. Stock, dearched, 'flipped' eye's, teflon lined for a smoother ride.

9. 55chieftain

55chieftain

There is a company called Scarebird that sells disc brake brackets for your car. On my 55 I converted to a balljoint front end using 58 parts.

10. Wow guys, thanks for all the input and comments. :D

-I got the camaro for $200 with some z28 rims which are on my s-10 right now, I sold the front fenders for $60 so it only cost me $140. I bought a second t-5 for $250 because the one in the camaro was blown.

-The width on the camaro rear is about 60"-61" which is about the same as what's in there already.

-I really need the lower controll arm bucket on the drivers side, don't even need the whole arm, the bucket is riveted in between the lower controll arm's rails. If you know where I can get it let me know please.

-As for body work, I need floors on both sides and rocker panels from the front of the doors to the wheel opening in the rear. I also have some rot along the seam where the roof and side panels meet. I was thinking of 'glassing that area or using the metal filler from eastwood. I also need advise on the trim clips because I have ALL the stainless for this car but none of the clips.

-I need ideas on how to mount the engine. I'd like to keep the stock frame and steering but drop the 305 in or a 350/th350 combo a friend of mine is selling.