Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 53 Olds Air Ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by U.K., Oct 4, 2015.

1. U.K.

U.K.

Does anyone have any info on bagging a 53 98.?
    Has anyone on here done this?
    Relatively straight forward job or PITA?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

We did my buddies. Pretty straight forward. Right now we've only done the rear. Switched out the leaves for a triangulated 4 link. Plenty of cutting and measuring but it turned out pretty nice.

We didn't notch the frame but it still goes pretty low aired out.

All in all, it was harder to bag than my Buick just because it was a leaf rear suspension whereas my Buick was coil. The Buick was easy peasy.

U.K. likes this.
  4. U.K.

U.K.

Thanks guys.
    So the leaf springs have to go? only curious because the only info I had to date was from a guy with a 55 and he had bagged his with them still in, he also added lowering blocks as well. but he was really vague on everything so I was no further forward.....did you take any pics? lol
    Have you got any info on which 4 link you used? I saw this kit on Ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Oldsmo...3|Make:Oldsmobile&vxp=mtr&hash=item235a1c3096

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

That kinda looks like the kit he bought. The kit itself was junk. Nothing fit and we had to cut up all the brackets and modify them. I would use a Gambino 4 link.

6. U.K.

U.K.

Appreciate your help mate.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

A possible problem with leaving the leaf springs in is that you increase the spring rate that way. Ride will suffer but with reduced suspension travel it might not be so bad a thing, all in all.

I don't know your Olds's stock leaf spring spec, so I don't know what scope there is for removing leaves. Taking leaves out of the pack reduces the spring rate, which can compensate for the stiffness you add with the bags. Do a bit of internet research on removing leaves, though, as there are a few things to beware of.

A slightly unconventional approach would be to have leaf springs made up which are very soft and very heavily arched, so much so that you'd need to clamp the springs to something straight in order to install them, and then to use the bags to pull the car down to ride height. The one principle in this is that springs acting against one another constitute a parallel-spring system despite your every instinct telling you it's a serial system, so the spring rates get added together to get to the overall rate. The other principle is that the rate of an air spring rises with pressure. Normally a bag system will run a lower pressure and hence have a lower spring rate at lower ride heights, which is the opposite of what you want. Having the system so that you run a higher pressure to get the car low would give the higher spring rate when you want it, i.e. at low ride heights. I mention this only for interest's sake - I wouldn't want you to be a guinea pig in this - but it does show how meaty a topic air suspension is.

8. U.K.

U.K.

Thank you Dawie, there's plenty of science behind and a heavy topic for sure.