Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Olds 88 interchange help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobux, Dec 1, 2005.

1. nobux

nobux

What GM car's(if any) windshields interchange? Are Chevys the same? Also, how about front suspension? Can I switch from the Olds's goofy upper control arm/shock arangement to the Chevy? Thanks in advance,

Karl

2. 53choptop

53choptop

I would be interested in this info also. If anyone has any good leads on actual 53 olds shields let me know.

On the suspension, the only thing I have found that comes close to this is the following article in webrodder.com "Buick Eight Fireball - Part 11" wherein the upper knee action was replaced with another upper a-arm from a "newer" 54 thus eliminating the knee action crap, not a 53 Olds, but the concept is there.

Rey

3. Well I thought I could help, but my Hollander only goes to '52 and my Chilton parts book starts at '54. BUT the Chilton book shows that '54 to '56 Olds windshields only interchange with Buicks of the same range of years. Holiday Coupes, Holiday Sedans and Convertibles all have the same windshield...everything else uses a different one. But as far as I can tell only Buicks used the same windshields as the Oldsmobiles. So...I'm assuming a '53 Buick windshield would work on your '53 Olds. And if your '53 is the same as a '54 Olds...then it'll work with anything up to '56 Olds or Buick.

As far as front suspension goes...I can't help you. I need a newer Hollander to figure that out.

I realize this info is full of holes...but hopefully it'll help in some way.

4. 53choptop

53choptop

5. Crestliner

Crestliner

What body style?

6. Crestliner

Crestliner

After more research looks as if 51-53 buick and olds of same body styles are the same. The 53 olds Fiesta conv. Is different from any others.

7. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

If you can't find it anywhere, call the Glass House in San Dimas, CA. They can find any glass, I think.

8. nobux

nobux

My application is a 53 2 door hardtop. So, the consensus on the suspension is that I could possibly use the upper control arms from a 54 Olds to eliminate the lever action upper control contraption?

Karl

9. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Karl, looked up the windshield-says it takes a Nags- W 220 thats for a 88 two door hardtop 53. It will fit 51-53 buick and olds.
    Thats olds 88 hardtop- Buick riviera hardtop and Buick conv.-series special-40 model 46c.
    As far as the front suspension goes,cant help much, but heres what I get:lower a-arm-takes a # 20 fits 39-53 olds all Pontiac 39-48 all Note-olds 49 w/hub and drum fits 53-54 olds.
    Upper shock-takes a #145 olds 39-53 all Pontiac 39-48 all.
    Spindle-#319 53-56 olds all.
    So you may be able to update to the 54-56 olds stuff, spindle is the same.
    Chevy is different according to the interchange.
    Some times things can be adapted pretty easy, sometimes they cant, these interchanges are for parts that are a fit.Other parts may be similar, but would need a hot rodders touch to make them work.
    Hope this doesnt add to the confusion.

10. nobux

nobux

Thanks scarliner, I'll run with that for now. Thanks again for taking the time everybody!

Karl

11. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

ACTUALLY,1954 is the last year for lever action shocks on the front of Olds.
    to change over you would need the upper and lower A-arms from a '55 or '56 Olds.
    you would also need to weld the part that holds the upper inner part of the A-arm to your frame.
    OR you could get some rebuilt lever action shocks,like i did,so it will be easy for me to add airbags in front.

12. Rckt98

Rckt98

Welcome to the wonderful, wonderful world of Oldsmobile. It would seem that every division of GM at the time did their own thing & very few parts interchange between the differnt makes.

13. f100man1

f100man1
    from Tahoka, Tx

There is a new article on the '50 Olds front suspension in the November 2012 issue of Rod & Custom magazine.

14. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

Try "Auto City Glass"
    28433 Hwy 65 NE
    Isanti, MN
    800 828 2212
    763 444 5880
    They are just North of the "cities" and very knowledgeable.
    Big warehouse there plus a shop that cuts custom pieces.
    They made a tinted side window for my '60 Cadillac for $75 installed in the window frame. Glass was $50.