Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '53 Meadowbrook Seat Q?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blue71c, Oct 13, 2013.

1. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

Would anyone know if a front split bench seat from a 51-51 Dodge Desoto will fit in a 53 Dodge Meadowbrook? Its the only seat I could find and it looks like it would fit and function well. I would hate to pass it up if it will work. I'm not looking for exact replacement parts. I just need to replace the milk crate behind the steering wheel...

Thanks!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A tape measure is your friend. Measure across the car at the upper door sill and compare that to the seat width at the outside of the seat backs at that height. If it will fit within the body, the seat tracks can be bolted down easily enough.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Dodge or DeSoto? 2 different cars. Dodge will probably fit, DeSoto may be too wide. A tape measure will tell the tale.

Is the old seat shot, or completely missing in action? If the seat is there it would be better easier and cheaper to fix it than replace it with the wrong seat. Ask me how.

53 or 54 Dodge or Plymouth would be the closest match.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'49 thru '52 Dodge/Desoto/Chrysler are the same body shell. '53/'54 Dodge is smaller than '51 and '53/'54 Desoto/Chrysler, hence the suggestion to measure. Surprisingly, some bench seats from newer, wider vehicles fit older, seemingly narrower bodies.

5. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

Rusty- the front seat is completely missing. Its just about the only thing that's missing other than the interior, keys, some trim and badges and the oil filter housing..
    Not sure if it had an oil filter housing or not.
    Other than that I've got a complete car...

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Oil filter was an option. It hung on the side of the engine above the starter with 2 copper pipes about the size of a pencil down to the engine. There should be a couple of pipe plugs on the oil gallery where it connects.

7. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

Thanks Rusty, I Will Be Adding That Option, 60 Years Later...