Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Ford w/ SBF.... what radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vendettaautofab, Apr 13, 2009.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

I need to get a radiator for a 53 Ford project thats in the shop for a customer. The car is getting a 351w.... I think Griffin offers one, but want to explore my options. What radiator are you running in your 53 Ford with a SBF? I know there are a few years that share the same radiator.

thanks,
    Mike K.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

mustang from your local auto parts store//////// i used a 68 v=8///////bolted right in

3. mottsrods

mottsrods

I agree, a mustang rad should just about bolt right in....

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

What's wrong with a stock one?

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The early Mustang radiators are cheap, easy to find and do the job well. If you're using a 1970 or later water pump, run a 1970-73 Mustang radiator from a 351 car. If you're using a 1967-69 SBF water pump, run a 67-69 Mustang radiator.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

When I'm doing a car for a customer, I don't like to comprimise, I always over build it, so they don't have any problems! And shop time negates trying to save money by using parts you have to spend hours fabricating brackets, and modifying stuff to fit.
    If you decide to have a custom made radiator built, I have a guy here in NJ who does great work. CARS, Custom Auto Radiator Service, in Forked River.
    He'll build one for you with your choice of type, and number of cores. Inlet and outlet, whatever size and location you want. Bungs for fan sensors? Trans cooler? A/C condensor? Whatever you want!
    He built up a custom one for me to put in a 34 Terraplane, for a 400 HP Chevy engine. Custom 90* upper hose inlet, factory type mounting brackets, A/C, trans cooler, sensor, the works. Very professional.
    Cost is a bit high, but the product is worth it. Brass and copper, too, not aluminum.

7. I got all of that Mustang radiator advice from on here for my '56 Ford and when I went to checkin' it out they weren't even close. Would maybe work with a 351 motor though since that's what some Mustangs had.