Register now to get rid of these ads!

'53 Ford steering column questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ric, Mar 15, 2010.

1. I am attempting to put a '53 Ford steering wheel in my coupe. The original steering column in the car had a solid steering shaft, the bottom end of it is machined for a double d u-joint. The splines do not fit the Ford wheel so I found a steering shaft from a '53 Ford, which I was going to install into the existing steering column. What I didn't realize is the '53 shaft is hollow, cannot machine the flats for the double d u-joint. Is there a shaft with Ford style splines that is solid ?

2. Ice man

Ice man

Why not machine a short shaft to fit the hollow one and weld it on. For strenth you can machine a stub to press into the hollow one that goes in several inches and it will be perfectly alligned, and ready to weld and machine. Iceman

3. I have considered that, kinda scares me welding a steering shaft together from two pieces. That may be my fall back plan. Thanks.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Not unless the after market is now making shafts that are splined for the Ford wheel. All the Factory shafts have the hole for the horn wire.

You can get a universal with a smooth bore for your 53 shaft and a D socket for the other connection if necessary.