Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford Ranchwagon.. Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Middle of the week update,I like it.

As for lowering the rear,if you have a flat it's already gonna be a bear to change the tire,two inches lower would you be able to do that in the shop,much less on the side of the road? HRP

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Agreed ! We decided we like it just fine . I'm not a fan of the "in the weeds" look. The fender skirts and the chop make it look just nicely dropped a little.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Here's a photo of our radiator collection, all 3 of 'em. The last radiator came in without so much as a scratch, so we proceeded to install it. DSCN0015.JPG

I really have to thank Champion Radiators here. They replaced the freight damaged radiators quickly and with no hassles at all . GREAT customer service.
    The radiator fit our revised opening nicely and bolted right up. we are using a flex fan on the engine rather than electric fans. I'm sure it'll work fine. We covered the fins with cardboard to protect them from inadvertant damage.
    DSCN0013.JPG

The lower right corner of a 289 is a real clusterf**k. We have the fuel pump, filter, oil pressure sender and the oil filter all in one tight little area. We had to put the oil pressure sender on a 4 inch extension to get everything to fit DSCN0014.JPG

Steve made more progress on the wiring. All in all, a good day
    DSCN0012.JPG

4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Looking Good! An extension for oil pressure is pretty common on those sbf's. Champion Radiators was a real stand up company to treat a customer like they did, kudo's to them too.

5. Chuck,everything is shaping up well,but I'm not a fan of the flex fan's as they really move very little air and in my honest opinion are dangerous,a fellow club member lost a radiator when the fan came apart.

I prefer a steel fan and have used this one on all my builds.HRP

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm listening! Where'd that one come from?

7. I'm not a fan of flex fans either, but for yet another reason; they're very noisy.

8. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I just picked one up myself.
    17" - 27degree pitch
    2-1/8 inch fan depth.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I agree 100%. I've had good luck using fans from old cars and reconditioning them. Bonus, they usually have a fan clutch to boot. ;)

Outback likes this.
  10. OK.... 3 weeks. I'm getting involuntary muscle twitching, itchy skin AND double vision. I need a fix Chuck. I.. I think I have an addiction.

bengeltiger likes this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We haven't been sitting still, but a lot of stuff we are working on now is taking much longer than expected. The upper radiator hose is a mustang unit.. The lower hose is, I don't know. I just walked up to all the hoses in the back room of O reilly's and picked one that would work off the wall.
    The radiator cooling lines were next. We bent them out of 5/16 steel tube and used rubber hose to connect them to the trans and the radiator so they don't crack from flexing. What a pain in the ass. I'd rather do major .bodywork any day. Here's a photo of the lines snaking from the radiator to the trans. Getting crowded down there.
    DSCN0020.JPG

We need an antenna for the radio, and there are lots of choices. I chose a simple kinda stock looking setup. ( cheap too! only ten bucks) The other guys wanted to mount two antennae, one on each rear fender. Just seemed too fancy to me. After all, it is a "Ranchwagon". ( sorry for the fuzzy sideways photo)
    DSCN0019.JPG

The real fun was reuniting the hood with the rest of the car. It took 3 of us the rest of the afternoon to get the hood to fit the opening. It still needs some fine tuning, but we're almost there. We love the look of the rounded hood corners and how well they work with everything else going on up front.
    The front end at first glance looks stock, but it has frenched lights, rounded corners, molded and lowered front pan, a lower valance and non stock lower chrome trim. Having the hood in place also makes the chop more apparent.
    DSCN0024.JPG

DSCN0023.JPG
    Now if I can just come up with a set of power steering hoses we can get this thing off to the muffler guy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

The nose sure looks sharp with all the mods, bottom of the grill is awesome!

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, with the added chrome below the grille we had to get creative with the directional lights.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  14. Chuck,how about a progress update?
    It looks like your getting close to a test drive. HRP

Toymont likes this.
  15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Well, here's what is going on. I have a Ford power steering pump and hooking it up to the fatman M2 rack was a bugger. No one makes a set of hoses for this, so we had to find ends and have custom hoses built for our application. (seems that all rodders use Chevy power steering pumps) Then the hoses wouldn't quite clear the motor mounts and they had to be clearanced DSCN0010.JPG

A real pain in the butt, but we got it accomplished.
    Then we started to connect the push/pull heater cables to the heater. In 1953 Ford was really enamored with vacuum operated EVERYTHING! Even the damn heat/ defrost selector was vacuum. We found an inline cable operated valve and installed it. There are 4 cable operated functions on our heater that are all controlled from one master. Heat/defrost, Right air duct, left air duct, and heater valve. I went and bought choke cables for all these functions, but as I found out tese will never do. They are too tight. Sooooo, I had to purchase heater specific cables at 30.00 per each. OUCH!.. Spent all day under the dash hooking up and adjusting these bastards. Here's a pic of the valve.
    DSCN0006.JPG

Then the hood safety latch needed installation. I don't know exactly what is off, but this thing is way too far forward. We'll make new mounts for it next week.
    Finally the cancelling mechanism for the turn signals was AFU ! We worked for over 6 hours trying to adjust this. Another time suck!
    Well folks, that's what we've been up to. It hasn't been easy, but that's hot rodding. We're not giving up, We're not giving up, We're not giving up, We're not giving up,

Attached Files:

tomkelly88 and 36 ROKIT like this.
  16. That looks like the same safety latch I have, HRP

17. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Well I know some of you have been waiting for updates on the wagon. Rest assured we are still at it every Sunday. Nothing much picture worthy. Steve got most of the wiring run and connected, and we found out by accident that the motor actually turns over. We also have the hood latch problem solved. This week Chuck got a new driveshaft made, and got one door window and wing glass cut so we can see if our patterns were correct. Chuck worked on the window fitment and we all pitched in to try and get it adjusted to where it rolls all of the way up. I spent some time the last two weeks under the car seam sealing all of the new voids we made installing new floors and started undercoating so the driveshaft can be installed. Steve spent the day wrapping the wire bundles and fastening them out of the way, and Nick has been refining the tail light/ gas door mechanism.

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

And here's some pictures of that work. I went out in the shop a few minutes ago and DAMN! The window we spent all day installing had cracked clear across!
    DSCN0018.JPG DSCN0020.JPG

DSCN0013.JPG DSCN0014.JPG

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  19. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

well that's just bizzare

20. Check for a screw or nut coming in contact with the glass,as odd as it seems we got all the glass installed in the Deuce pickup and the next day the passenger side glass was cracked.

You guys are doing a great job. HRP

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure I got one of the clamps too tight that hold the glass into the mechanism. Live and learn I guess. I'll get more glass this week and we'll try again.

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Finally we had a day that let us feel that we really accomplished something.
    We removed the side widow we broke last week and looked at everything carefully. I broke the glass by tightening the mounting screw too much, but we also noticed that the power window mechanism wasn't in real good line with the front and side channels. We shimmed it out, and now the new glass fits and moves perfectly! I had the windows cut in clear glass- no tint. I love the clean look it has.

SIDE WINDOW.jpg

We went to install the new driveshaft , and realized it is too close to the floor of the car to work. We had to alter the transmission mount to lower the tail of the transmission. Here's what it looked like before,
    OLD TRANNY MOUNT.jpg

and here it is after surgery.
    NEW TRANNY MOUNT.jpg

It went smoothly. Now the new driveshaft is a nice fit! We finally feel like we're coming down the homestretch on this project!
    DSCN0020.JPG

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  23. You guys are doing great! All of us that build things have the same stories. I sure hope I'm in the right place to see the finished car someday. :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Just keep whittling away with that list and you guys are going to have a running car before you know it! HRP

25. You are doing a nice job on that build-
    Did you have to change anything else when you re-fabbed the trans mount? Did the driveshaft angle not change with that big of a drop on the transmission end?

26. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The total drop was one and a half inches. It didn't change the angles all that much. I think we'll be OK.

27. Your fab work is nice and clean-"patiently waiting" to see it out in the daylight under it's own power.

28. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

If the drive line angle does cause a little vibration it will be easy to fix with wedges on the rear spring pads after your up and driving, no big deal. I am also "patiently waiting to see it out in the daylight under it's own power" like AA above said. ;)

29. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Actually that section we cut was a piece we added on to the original mount for the car. We thought we needed it with the different engine and trany we put in, but it turned out we were wrong.