Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford Ranchwagon.. Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for that info.... These vacuum lines have us pretty confused. We'll switch that out!

Johnboy34 likes this.
  2. SimonSez

SimonSez

That port will be fine for the vacuum modulator - it is connected internally below the throttle blades and will have full manifold vacuum.

Here is a diagram from Edelbrock that shows all of the vacuum ports.

[​IMG]

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

OK, where Do I Attach the vacuum line for the wipers and the power brakes? can I put a tee in that line?

4. Vacuum wipers? HRP

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I rebuilt the setup and I'm gonna give it a try. This car wont see a whole lot of rain. Its pretty hard on the wood.

6. Ok,but you and I both know your gonna get caught out in the rain,Rain-X works great. HRP

7. Vacuum wipers tell you when you just floored it! Great stuff. I hope when you finish this you might come to Salina. That might be the only time our paths cross. :)

8. sololobo

sololobo

dig the plan man

9. sololobo

sololobo

knocked out with the beautiful skilled work

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Today was a biggie! The engine went in!
    The Strange Days shop is pretty well set up to do most work, and pulling/replacing engines is no exception. We have an overhead trolley beam with an electric winch which makes work like this as easy as possible. Here we are getting ready for the job at hand..
    DSCN0091.JPG

We didn't spend much time at it as the engine just lowered into position in the engine bay. We were extra careful not to be harsh on the front fender paint.
    DSCN0094.JPG
    We really like the fit. That 289 looks like it belongs in there. Yeah, I know that is the explosive red fuel line that immediately bursts into flame if you so much as look at it, but we live dangerously! We had enough time to start hooking up hoses and vacuum lines, so we actually got pretty far today.

DSCN0099.JPG

Lastly we took a side shot of the car so we could see how it sits with all the new weight added. We really like it! Maybe the rear could come down another inch, waddaya think?
    DSCN0100.JPG

11. Good progress. I check this thread every time I scan the HAMB.
    As for the stance, I think it is right on!
    Stance can make it or break it and I think it's a make it .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. I agree with your thought of 1 inch lower.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Maybe even 1- 1/2"........or come up that much in the front.
    That 289 fits well, even w/ the factory oversized heater box and motor. (Makes me miss my red '54 convert.
    I had in high school.)

14. I like the slight rake,it looks just right to me. HRP

15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'd throw a pair of 2" blocks in back and see what that does, then decide if it needs to come up more.

But that might toss a wrench in the works when changing a flat out back...

16. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Front suspension travel? How much do you have? I'd look at that first, if you feel it is good then take a look at 2" in the rear....IMHO.

17. I'm with Danny. I'd at least wait until I had the car complete to see what the glass/interior etc. do to the stance.

18. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Looks like I caught Scupper running under the front of the car in that pic

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Scooper the shop rabbit!,so cool. HRP

[​IMG]

20. Shouldn't Scupper have a pancake on his head? You know for safety reasons?

21. alchemy

alchemy

It has kinda skirts but is going to have a forward rake? That ain't right.

droppedstepside and Peanut 1959 like this.
  22. Whatever you guys decide will be ok in my book,this build has elevated the status of the 52-54 Ford wagons. HRP

23. So, you're saying you don't like hotties in skirts with their rears in the air.
    I'll be keeping an eye on you.......

Toymont likes this.
  24. Any more happening here Chuck?

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Well, we're still at it, but it sure seems to be going slowly. We followed the instructions on the B&M shifter for placement. In the far back position the shift lever just misses the seat in the forward adjustment. BUT the shifter in the forward position causes the drivers hand to hit the dash. We decided the best thing to do was to shorten the shifter lever. This aint easy to do. We had to drill out the rivets, re drill new holes, shorten the arm, and then shorten the lockout lever as well. We did prevail, and it solved the problem. If it was easy, the campfire girls would build hotrods. Here's a photo of the shortened lever DSCN0006.JPG

While Steve was wiring the back up lights and starter lockout , Dana and I worked on the radiator mounts. We had to move the radiator forward about three and a half inches. New mounts were fabricated and installed. DSCN0005.JPG
    The radiator we purchased from Champion and it arrived damaged. The folks at Champion couldn't have been nicer , and shipped me another right away. Unfortunately it is also slightly damaged. I'll call them on Monday and see what can be done.
    DSCN0008.JPG

We were able to check for fit, and it looks like everything will work. DSCN0007.JPG

Were getting close to starting this baby up!

26. Great stuff guys. keep on keep 'n on.

27. Everything is shaping up,I hate the idea of 2 screwed up radiators,they must be getting some rough treatment in route HRP

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  28. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

The damage is in the same place on both rads. The second one not quite as bad as the first one. Like they got dropped and the flange is on the bottom with just a quarter inch of styrofoam for padding in that area.

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I start thinking there's a problem with manufacturing or packaging before shipping.

30. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its a packaging and shipping problem. The mounting flanges on the radiator sit out right at the edge of the box, so that if it is dropped, or if something is pushed against the box, the flange is pushed into the radiator. You can see inside the boxes where the flanges were pushed. Rough handling? yeah, Poor packing?, yeah also. I have to say that Champion has been great to deal with. I wish more businesses had their customer service ethic!
    DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0009.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016