Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 custom grill questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fender lizard, Mar 22, 2011.

1. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

We are planing on molding and frenching the front end of my friends 53 and want to do this set up. We got the grill shell molded, and headlights frenched, just cant figure out the center bar to use.... We want to ditch the round turn signals and maybe use the oval style like this:

[​IMG]

Can some one give us a clue to what kind of center section this is? The next question is should we shove it full of teeth or no teeth?...

2. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

IMO, I love a grille full of nice shiny teeth. I'm going to be using corvette teeth in the grille of my truck. Sorry, but I don't know where that center section is from.

3. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Maybe a closer shot of the center section if you have but i really can't tell you. I say shove it full of teeth......

4. 117harv

117harv

X3 on the teeth.

5. Squablow

Squablow

The grille bar is either a 53-55 Oldsmobile bar or it's from a '55 Chrysler, hard to tell from that pic but either of those options would give you the look you're going for.

6. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

It looks like a mid fifties Olds grill bar. Nice clean car like that don't need teeth, JMO

Ron

7. mark arnold

mark arnold
    from oregon

The grille bar is 55 olds ,55 chrysler is totally different.

8. RDR

RDR

with that oval, about anything is possible....teeth are expensive for the '53 but I've seen some good looking bumper guards used as teeth on some grille bars...I would suggest a heavier or more massive bar or teeth rather than smaller or lighter to fill the cavity. This setup would set you back at least a grand...:eek:

Attached Files:

9. 117harv

117harv

Her is a cool grille bar treatment with ( GASP ) inexpensive VW bumper gaurds...looks pretty good, pic taken from he HAMB.

Attached Files:

10. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

11. Squablow

Squablow

This is the Chrysler bar I was referring to. Very similar, although I think it has parking lights in it which the Olds does not.

Attached Files:

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

My opinion, for what it's worth,if you're going to use a narrow bar like that one show in the original post then it looks nice and clean without teeth. If you're going to use the grill bar the full width of the opening, then yes on the teeth.

Best of luck whichever way you go
    Paul