Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Cranbrook... Can it be a "LeadSled"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LongLiveFlathead6, Jul 1, 2015.

1. LongLiveFlathead6

LongLiveFlathead6

I agree with you, Clay... I really like the kickback near the rear quater windows... I am going to try and keep that intact as best as I can... However, I don't like the oval split window in the rear... I rather use the exsting rear window if it's possible... I like the larger window anyways... The oval window doesn't look like it belongs there, because it doesn't...

I enjoy and encourge builders to use parts from other cars, but making them look like they belong there is a special talant... and I LOVE when it is done with sucsess...

My biggest dilema is the B-pillar... First of all, I'm not sure if I even want to keep it, but if I do, shoud I leave it vertical or slant?

What do the rest of you folks think?

2. I'd be tempted to keep the B-pillar if for no other reason than to make it easier to fit the side glass and keep the window regulators operative. And I don't think the pillars automatically need to be slanted. Actually, it might end up a little clumsy looking that way if you do decide to keep that kick-back in the sail panel at the rear of the quarter windows.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

On eliminating B pillars.....unless you have a definite plan on how to handle the window tracks, both door and quarter, AND how to handle the vent window housing, and roof edge, don't attempt it! Too many people try and wind up looking poorly. I did a shoebox Ford hardtop conversion, and even though we used hardtop/convert. vent housings, it was still some work to try and rework the roof to look natural, and function correctly. A lot of guys just weld in the door frame, great, but now you can't open the door without dropping the window first. AND the roof looks too thick for a hardtop. You also have to modify the quarter window to be larger and move farther forward to meet and seal the door glass. It's a lot of detail that most people never get around to completing.
    BTW, the blue and bare metal 54 is one I did a ton of work on, and now the owner, Kenny, is doing even more metalwork on, in my shop now. Scooping quarters, lowering the rear of the roof just a bit more, narrowing the catwalk, and extending the trunk lid instead ( yea, I still think he's carzy for going through all that work!) But his metalworking talents are amazing!