Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '53 Chrysler Headliner Removal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bredlo, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Bredlo

Bredlo
    from Chicago

Just what the titles says. I have a '53 Town and Country with a perfect headliner, and was hoping to remove it intact - and put it into another wagon of the same model.

Never tried anything like this -- any tricks? Special tools? Photos or a video somewhere online? I could use a bit of advice. Thanks!

2. That is a 63 year old headliner - unless it was replaced once or twice I would guess it is very dry and ready to tear at the least bit of tugging. My advice would be "very carefully". I've not had much luck along those lines

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I believe the headliner is glued to the roof panels around the roof edges. I don't see a 53 headliner coming out in one piece. Sorry. Gene

4. Bredlo

Bredlo
    from Chicago

Bummer - it certainly looks and acts supple (creepy word, but accurate) but it could be a replacement I suppose. Thanks for weighing in, both of you guys.

5. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. You might try using some GOO or similar adhesive remover to see if the glue will release....you might get lucky.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Trouble is, even if you can get it out intact there will not be enough material to pull it tight upon installation. The leftover material is trimmed off after it is tucked. When you buy a new one they come a good 6 inches longer in all directions for the purpose of pulling the wrinkles out

7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I attempted to remove one from a 53 Chrysler Saratoga, at first it look like it might happen, then it started with a small tear, and that was the end of that. I have to say it did look good, solid, and tight before I started screwing around with it. I was welding up some roof rack holes, so it had to come out one way or another.