Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53' Chrysler headlight issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sodakmini, Oct 13, 2015.

1. sodakmini

sodakmini

Bought my wife a 53' Chrysler Windsor. aaand the headlights do not work. Dash lights work. Tail lights work. Passenger side blinkers work. Replaced headlights with new lights. It's a dual battery 6v system.looks like each headlight has its own ground strap with 4 or 5 wires going towards headlights and blinkers. Any easy ways of bypassing headlight. switch to see if that's my problem??? Or is there some kind of relay? Thanks in advance for the help.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  2. Probably a bad headlight switch, but it might pay to check the floor dimmer switch first. Get at the dimmer switch terminals, and check for power to ground at any terminal with the light switch 'on'. No power here, it's a bad headlight switch. If you have power at only one terminal but neither of the other two, the dimmer switch is bad.

Nearly all OEM light switches back then used an internal circuit breaker (rather than a separate fuse) to protect the headlight circuit, that breaker has probably failed. I have a friend who recently bought a '53 Chrysler that had been parked 30 years ago for the same reason (no headlights), a new switch fixed it.

3. sodakmini

sodakmini

Thanks for the good response. Will go tear into it.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Yeah the old dimmer switch on the floor, very prone to corrosion from mud and slush.

302GMC likes this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Leave the headlight switch in there - never seen a rotary Chrysler switch failure. It'll be the dimmer.

6. sodakmini

sodakmini

Thanks guys. Will pull it out tonight

7. I had the same problem with a 64 ford.It was the dimmer switch.Bruce.