Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Chevy wiper assembly removal...help me!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ms. Metal, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Ms. Metal

Ms. Metal

How do you get these stinkin things off! I can't find my manual. Getting ready for paint and I forgot from 8 years ago when I took them off the last time. Thanks!

I took a photo and can't get it uploaded...ugh! Now I am really getting mad. I need to know how to get the outside piece off the goes over the trim ( I removed the actual wiperarm) I need the chrome piece off to remove the trim that goes under it.

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i has a slot on each side below where wiper arm was. you need a special tool to turn it. it screws off.

Attached Files:

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

if you are carefull two flat head screw drivers work.

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

You can make a tool with a piece of pipe or metal tubing the same diameter (grind it down but leave the two tabs to catch those slots) OR you can tap gently with a fiber or rubber hammer with a dull screwdriver in one of the slots. You need to chase the slots around counter-clockwise until it's loose enough to take off with your fingers. Don't try using pliers - you'll just ruin the nut.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Jkustom

Jkustom

What Fastcar1953 said. Two flatheads and be careful, If you can't find the actual tool. Which I couldn't..

EDIT- Atomic thats a good idea. Wouldn't be hard just to make one.

6. Ms. Metal

Ms. Metal

Here is a photo...but this is what I thought that I might have to have that tool. Thanks so much for the quick reply!!!!

Attached Files:

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

the slot at three oclock and the slot at nine oclock, get something to turn them counterclockwise and it will come off.

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

It will only take you a few minutes to make the tool. You just need a pipe with an inside diameter big enough to just slip over the wiper shaft. Then grind or file both sides of the front face of the pipe, leaving a tab on each side that will fit into the slot. You can use vice grips on the pipe tool if it takes a lot to get it loose, or even weld a handle on the end of the pipe.

Last time I needed one I just used a short piece of EMT counduit. It wasn't very strong, but it was enough to get them both off.