Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 53 Chevy two door post chop questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evilkazeevil, Nov 5, 2014.

1. So I am on a trade deal with a buddy of mine and ending up with this nice clean two door post 53. Got a short list of things to do to the car for a quick get it done over the next couple months project for a new driver to haul me back and forth to the shop every day. FIrst thing on the agenda is the chop. Going to strip the interior and get to cutting in the next little bit. Been studying a lot of on line pics, and pics in all my books and magazines. I notice a lot of people are changing the back glass completely. I think I am more in to using the stock back glass, leaning it forward and shaving the lower corners. What are other people doing when using the stock rear glass on these 53-54 cuts? Here is a pic of the car as it sets now.

Attached Files:

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You cannot "shave" the corners of the back glass. The glass, from the factory, is tempered, and will shatter if any attempts are made to cut it, even slightly. If they make an aftermarket replacement, most likely it is laminated, and THAT glass you can sand, grind, or cut to fit..
    That's why people change them when chopping! Either that, or have a very unattractive "dip" in the rear window when you lean it forward.