Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 chevy truck doors on a 48 cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sumo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. sumo

sumo

having some fit issues with my 53 doors on my 49 cab, does anyone know what you have to do to make the door latches on the cab fit better, doors are very hard to close and not lining up at all, seems like the older cab moves the striker out too far, is there an easy fix??

2. ...you need to use strikers that match your doors...

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, the push button doors have a different striker than the doors with the handles you turn. You need a 52/53 striker.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

None of the stock door latches/strikers on these trucks is very good, even when new, in my opiniuon. There is a kit available, I have seen it, that completely replaces both door and pillar elements. Fairly simple to install. Try contacting Big Dog Hot Rod Parts in St. Louis. They had then last I knew.

In my own case, on my '54 GMC, I completely rebuilt the door and pillar area to use factory 'bear claw' style latches from a '90s Chrysler/Jeep products. Looks nice and works well, but is more work than I would recommend for someone else, especially the handle connections.

Ray

Ray