Register now to get rid of these ads!

'53 chevy shaved deck lid...open trunk ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, May 14, 2012.

1. Dan

Dan

Shaving the decklid on our '53 chevy 210 and need some ideas on how to open the trunk...built a shaft that came out the back attached to a rod that exits out of the trunk floor but my engineering is not so good, that shaft pulled down instead of rotated enough to open the mech.
    What are some methods you guys used? I need a couple more sets of eyes on this - I am hitting a roadblock...
    not interested in any solenoids, want it to be a mechanical connection...
    thanks-

2. look at the lock ... l stock . cut weld . drill.

3. Dan

Dan

so you just welded shut the hole, drilled a smaller hole to stick the handle in from the outside and open the mechanism that way??

4. Cable, as in bicycle cable. You will need to hook the end up to your latch, and then run the cable to a hidden spot, such as behind the rear valence. Make it pull the cable to open.

5. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

I have a manual choke cable ran from the inside of my gas door to inside the trunk. I have that attached to a rod that goes through the latch like a striker. When cable is pulled rod pulls through latch. When I go to close I use a small scewdriver to reset latch.

6. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

lawn mower choke cable cost about $12 at napa.
    secure the pull nod ( hidden ) and conect the other end to the latch, a arm may be required to attach lock to cable.
    This also works on shaved door handles

Godspeed
    MrC.

7. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

another manual cable set up -a hood release cable- i used one on a 50 merc 4dr -had the cable mounted at the top left rear seat cushion between seat and qtr trim

8. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

I just finished hooking up a latch on mu 53 buick. I hit the junk yard and got a latch out of a toyota ( i think). I just re worked the latch mech and striker. I ran the emergency release handle cable through the floor in a piece of brake tubing. Reatached the emergency release handle under the trunk. Works great but i do need to come up with a spring of some kind to help pop it up when I pull the handle. Good luck

9. When I did my 50 Sedan. I just mounted the catch on the trunk lid and the latch on the body. I ran a wire cable thru the floor. I worked great. Here's some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

i used a newer mustang latch
    comes with 3 ways to unlatch it: electric, hoffa safety release and the key release.
    i removed the key release and used bicycle brake cable.
    fit right in w/o modification, you can buy a 15 foot tandem brake cable

[​IMG]