Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 53 chevy rear 4-link angles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K204DR, Apr 14, 2015.

1. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

setting up a triangulated 4-link in the rear of my 53 hardtop, and was wondering if you guys are worrying about lower bar angles at ride height? its angled up from the rearend to the frame about 5 degrees. its about 8" down from the centerline of the axle in the rear, and as low as I can go on the frame at the front. I'm afraid to move it up on the axle any, as I'm trying to keep the separation between the upper and lower. just wondering if its good there.

2. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

They say the lower bars should be as close to level as possible with the car at ride height. I doubt seriously if the 5 degrees would hurt anything as long as this isn't a drag car. Street car, moderate power, will probably be fine.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

Well I worried about it enough, that I ended up using a 4link calculator, and checking it all. turns out the angle is actually good for it at the bottom. I ended up moving the frame one up 1/4 inch more than I originally had it. I'd rather set it up to drive right now, so I don't have to redo it later. had to get my antisquat right. more than 75 percent and it will wheel hop under braking. less than 50 and it will wheel hop when accelerating. I ended up around 62 percent.
    I'm happy I checked it all out. might be ok for someone to just cruise, but I plan on running a little more power later, and want to be happy with how it drives and handles.