Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 chevy 3 speed intall, tips, tricks etcPICS ADDED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., Jun 30, 2013.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

HELP! Trying to get the 'new' 53 trans to slide into the 235 engine. it's a 54 engine. What is the trick? I don't know the technical terms of these parts im gonna describe but here goes. it looks like the bearing that the clutch fork slides is off center of the rest of the engine. So if i get the end of the trans shaft into that bearing it's NEVER gonna line up with the rest of the engine. What am I doing wrong? Laying on back, muscling overhead, my arms are killing me!:mad:

Thanks
    Scott

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. Timmyd

Timmyd
    from Ohio

The throw out bearing can not be off centered for the fact that it rides on the imput shaft... you might just need an alinement tool to center your clutch between the presser plate and fly wheel. you can make a homemade tool w/a piece of 3/4 rod and a little black tape to inlarge the rod where the clutch will sit.

3. Scott F.

Scott F.

Not sure exactly the names but here goes again. The clutch fork is holding a bronze or brass bushing. It is NOT CENTERED to the splines that i can see inside the engine. The little fingers that All point in (clutch fingers) are centered arround the internal spline things which i assume are in the end of the crankshaft? Do i just need to disconnect the clutch linkage and try to get all this stuff lined back up and try that way? Didnt read anywhere in the manual that i had to disconnect the clutch linkage so i didnt.

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Sounds like the clutch disc is off center. Did someone push the pedal with the trans out? Install new disc without a pilot tool?

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

If the linkage is still intact, you might be able to center it up while a buddy holds the pedal down. Could be interesting if you don't have a pilot tool though.

6. Scott F.

Scott F.

Yes. I did. I was trying to see if that would move the throwout bearing bA k to center. So the fact that the female splines and the finger things (what are they called?) are lined up to each other doesnt matter? Only thing that looks misLigned is the round ring that the clutch fork is holding.

7. Scott F.

Scott F.

Whats a pilot tool?

8. Curt B

Curt B

Dude, find a couple long bolts the same size as what you're working with. Use a hacksaw to cut the heads off and screw them in the top 2 holes to support it and help guide it in.

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A little confused, in post 3 you said the bronze bushing (pilot bushing) is off center from the splines.

Not sure why the fork and throwout bearing are fighting you so much, pics might help.

A pilot tool looks just like the input shaft on the transmission and is used to center up the new disc as you install the pressure plate. Without it it's nearly impossible to get the trans back in.

10. F&J

F&J

His TOB is off center for some reason.

Could be that the clutch linkage and spring is the cause, shoving it to one side.

I would try disconnecting the clutch linkake, then move the fork back and forth to see if it can line up ok.

I don't think you need a clutch alignment pilot, if the splines still look centered with the brass bushing deep inside those splines.

11. Scott F.

Scott F.

Sorry my lack of knowledge is the barrier here. In post 3 i was referring to the throwout beAring being off center.

12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Another thing to check other than the spring pulling on it is whether the fork may have popped off its pivot in the bell housing.

13. Timmyd

Timmyd
    from Ohio

If I remember correctly, the fork snaps on to a pivot ball, and once it is snapt into place, the fork can not slide inward or outward. The bronze/brass bushing you are talking about... Might be the inside sleeve of the throw out bearing ? Let me ask you this, Did the bell housing stay bolted to the block during this removel and replacement of the trans ?? If so then the clutch assembly should be inline.

14. Scott F.

Scott F.

I will check that too, thanks L.S.A.

15. Timmyd

Timmyd
    from Ohio

sorry did'nt see all thee other post why I was gone... Take the return spring off let the fork just flop around in there center the clutch and slide it togiether...

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

And don't forget a dab of grease on the pilot bushing along with a light film on the splines and bearing support where the throwout bearing slides. Maybe even a bit on the fork pivot for good measure.

17. Scott F.

Scott F.

Thanks Timmy. I will do that. you're referring to the spring that returns the clutch and pedal?

18. Scott F.

Scott F.

i noticed the grease groove in the throw out bearing could use re-packing with grease too.

19. Scott F.

Scott F.

The bell is in place. Just a gearbox swap. Simple right. :)

20. Scott F.

Scott F.

The throwout bearing is wedged between the fork and the springs i think. Its pushing on some of the springs pretty hard but not all of them. How to i get it freed up? Tried prying with a delrin plastic rod but it wont move.

Attached Files:

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Loosen the adjusting nuts on the "L" shaped rod that bolts to the outer end of the throughout bearing fork. That will take the tension off the clutch springs (Belleville spring). Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. wood470

wood470

I m not shure about 53 but 52 and earlier the floor top was removable makes it a little easier to maneuver everything.

23. wood470

wood470

Also from your pix it looks like the fork is James unto the throw out bearing. Needs to be pried back so it's right in the middle of the bearing

24. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

^^what he said>>>according to your picture the bearing is not centered in the fork> its pushed to far in on the fork

25. Scott F.

Scott F.

That makes sense. I have never seen one before so i didnt even think that it might be too deep into the fork.

26. Scott F.

Scott F.

Just for others who ever have this problem in the future. The throwout bearing was too deep in the fork and wedged. I loosened the fork adjustment and centered it and the. It all slid together like butter. Thanks for the help.

27. You type good for being on your back.