Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Chevy 210 disc brake swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BF53, Feb 12, 2013.

1. BF53

BF53

Hey guys, I'm interested in swapping disc brakes onto my stock front suspension 53 210 4 door. Speedway Motors says their kit is only for use with straight axles using modified stock spindles, what other options are out there? The car was originally equipped with a Powerglide but I'm going with a 3 speed Saginaw behind a mild 283. Does anyone make a dual pot master cylinder that will work with the factory clutch and brake pedals? Am I better off mounting the new master on the firewall and fabbing a push-style clutch linkage? This is my first classic build but I've been a licensed tech for 20+ years working on late model stuff, heavy trucks, muscle cars and racing dirt track stockers.

2. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

I used Braketech Solutions kit on my '54. I know just enough about mechanics to get myself in trouble, so I asked my dad and father in law if I needed new master, etc... Each said no. I drove one summer and it stopped great. I really liked it. It was virtually plug and play with their kit. I also thought reasonable. So I suggest calling them. I think there may be an Alliance Vendor on here too by Scarebird. May try them as well.

3. 270ci

270ci

I used a disc brake kit from Master Power Brakes on my 54...easy install and worked worked well, but it does set your front wheels out by 3/8" per side. MPB has an under floor dual master kit as well, but I think it only works with an auto trans combo, as there is no provision for the clutch pedal.

Buffalo Enterprises has a dual master set up that uses the original pedal and pedal pivot components (gutted original m/c casting), so the stock clutch set up can be used, but I have not personally tried one.

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

You may want to try Walton's.They offer a power brake kit which includes a pedal assembly for a firewall mounted master cylinder with booster. I also recall someone making an adapter to mount a duel master on your stock pedal set up,I think they were located in Australia or New Zealand.Having trouble with my total recall at the moment.

5. BF53

BF53

Thanks for the help guys! I've checked out some of these suppliers and now I have plenty of options to consider.

6. Harris

Harris

Got mine off flee bay - round $300 easy enough to install, but of course had to do slight modifications. Work great

7. BF53

BF53

Thanks for the help guys!

8. BF53

BF53

9. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Factory power brakes were firewall mounted. Would make a nice change over.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. deto

deto

For the sake of exhaust routing, hang them on the firewall. It gets tight on the driver side if you still have the stock pedal set up.

X2 on the walton kit.