Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 chev solenoid/popper tech help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CrcooperPhotography, Mar 8, 2020.

1. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Hey hambers.
    Fitting door solenoids/poppers to my 53 chev HT.
    I found a GREAT “how to” online from Jimmy white: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/interior/0407sc-lock-04/

Following this, it’s been a great guide. However, I have come across one issue. And it’s probably something I’ve easily overlooked.

With the interior door handle rod in place (handle to latch), when I manually operate the solenoid, the interior door handle rod flex’s like crazy and doesn’t allow the door latch/inner door handle to operate.
    I have inspected and lubricated the latch and the inner door handle mechanism. The rod doesn’t seem to be able to move the handle under the tension of the handle spring.

I have tried to run a small diameter tube around the rod as a better guide. That failed.

The next idea was to just run a cable (between the inner door handle and the latch (like the solenoid set up), which will allow enough flex for the door latch to operate but will also allow me to still use the inner door handle.

Hopefully that’s making some sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

IMG_4695.JPG IMG_4696.JPG IMG_4697.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.