Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Business Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevtrev, Nov 26, 2011.

1. FrankyV8

FrankyV8
    from Holland

Man this ride is getting better and better with every up-date. Love the details!

Keep the updates coming!!!!

2. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks dude. Im having a lot of fun with this car!

3. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Weekend update. Working on tying up a lot of loose ends and unfinished things before I start any new fab work. Learning a lot and realising i need to finish things competely before moving on. Got some smaller end pieces for my pans welded in so that i can roll and complete my tranny tunnel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And built a new tranny mount

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  4. thedreamer

thedreamer

Looks great. That is one of my biggest problems is I want to jump around to different projects instead of finishing one.

5. I built a tranny Mount like that. Have to take it off to pull the pan. Can you trim just a bitfoff the front so you can get at the pan?

6. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I marked a line on the mount for it to be trimmed back already, just didn't wanna pull it back out then to cut it back. Good eye tho!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. gotit

gotit

Killer build for sure. I have one hell of a connection with the 53-54 chevy. They look so damn good.

I'm not sure if you planned it or not but your column has the wire hole on the bottom. Since you made a drop you should put the hole on the top to keep the wires up and out of site.

8. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks dude! I am waiting till I get my column shift linkage and shifter detent installed above the column before I move the hole. Wanna make sure they don't clash. Thanks for the advice man.

9. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Another saturday update here. Mentioned last post I wanted to get some unfinished things i started completed before moving onto new things. Got a good chunk of the seat back wall fabbed up today. Still need to finish the upper 4 link cover plates and the transmission tunnel.

[​IMG]

Also got the notch cover completed today as well. Left a big access hole so I will be able to access both my air bags and shocks from the trunk. Will fab up a nice cover plate that will bolt into place over the hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. That looks really good Trev.Smart move to make the acces hole for the rear end.May be usefull some day.

11. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks kenneth! I figured it was gonna be easier if i had to fix a bag or shock to access it through the trunk then trying to get up and at the bags from underneath the car. Better safe than sorry.

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm loving it! I wish my 54 was done like this. Maybe one day......

13. Such nice fab work, specially the back seat area, shame nobody will see it once the interior goes in.

14. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

I noticed you used the panel alinement clamps. What did you think of them? Iv used some like that before and wasn't all that happy with them. I didn't like the gap size or the big slug that went in the back. I ended up making my own of my design, they use a piece of tig wire instead of the square plug so if it falls out it and gets lost it won't hurt anything. You can also put the clamps in place before you put on the panel it makes it a whole lot easier to mount and test fit panels. If you want I could whip you up a set and send them out to you... Not sure how many more panels you'll be mounting on the 53 but might come in handy later
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380248226.267276.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380248239.797388.jpg

15. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I actually haven't used them much since the chop as I too were not happy with the large gap. I am mainly using Cleco's now for sheet metal fitment. They work awesome and are super easy to use.

16. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Sunday update. Got the trunk access panel fabbed up and fitted into place. It will be bolted with a gasket so I can access my airbags, shocks and anything else from inside the trunk.

[​IMG]

Got the drivers side upper link cover for the rear seat built yesterday. This ended up being a tedious and long day as I dont have a brake and had to hand form and hammer this piece. Really happy with how it looks and these too will be removable incase I need to replace the upper end bushings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rytang likes this.
  17. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Turned out real nice!

18. bigpokie

bigpokie

I wonder if the deck and wedding went well since their hasn't been any updates

19. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

There is progress updates right above here since the wedding. Working on transmission tunnel right now. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381939502.245807.jpg

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice work with upper link and trunk covers!
    I cant understand why some guys leave them open.

21. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I don't get that either. Living here in BC we get lots of rain and don't want any moisture in my finished interior. Covers are a must!

22. Nice Trev. Like the look of your panels. Lot of work put in to them.

23. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks Kenneth, this is the first tunnel I have done and I'm gonna my time to make sure it's done right.

24. r53

r53
    from Denver

Great start!! I am building a 53 bizz coupe also.I just joined HAMB the other day It feels like home.I want to start a thread but I havent took the time to learn how to up load pictures yet.One thing you might look at is changing the rear diff to a 94 and later gt mustang 8.8.I have one that I paid $200 for and gained rear disc brakes and 3:73 locker.There is tons of them out there for cheap.

I Do have a ? for you or any one who knows I had my body lifted off at a friends shop
    they striped all the stock drive train and sandblasted.When they brought the frame back They forgot to mark were the fire wall would be in relation to the frame,so I don't know were the Engine needs to set.

Keep up the good work!!

25. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Hey 53chevtrev I was wondering how you are making those indentations onto your panels? Came out really nice.:cool:

26. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I got a 81 Monte Carlo 10 bolt that works perfectly already mounted in the car. Sorry but I don't understand why you would ever put a new ford diff like that in a chevy. Not my thing.

Are you running the stock motor or going with something else? Stock front clip or m2? Honestly I wouldn't mount the motor without the body on for this reason alone. Couldn't you measure from your body mount to firewall and then do the same on your frame? Hope this helps.

27. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

All the stepped panels are done with dies on my bead roller. Check out mittler bros or hoosier profiles. Make really good shit!

28. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Right on thanks.:cool:

29. r53

r53
    from Denver

Why A ford 8.8 well 31 spline axles (28 spline 10 bolt) Locker diff (open diff most 10 bolts) 3:73 gears (2:73 or 3:08 10 bolt) 11"disc brakes (drum 10 bolt).The deal on the engine is Im putting a LS6 in mine with a eaton m-133 supercharger (off a GT-500 mustang) $450 Im to old for the chevy vs ford deal.I just like making a bunch of HP with out spending the big $$.My ? is I just need to know how many inches from the end of the front frame horn to the fire wall so I can do the motor mounts

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  30. bigpokie

bigpokie

I love how thought out everything is ! Keep up the good work !