Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Buick power brakes?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Domino, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Domino

Domino

Is there a master cylinder and booster that will bolt in directly to the frame of a 53 Buick? The factory booster is giving me fits as far as repair parts go. The owner wants to keep the factory fill under the hood and the factory pedal. I could swap in a different style if I knew what would fit.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

2. leon bee

leon bee

I was hoping you'd get a definitive, simple response. That is the Morraine unit Buick slipped into those cars quietly because the original was dangerous. As you've found, there are no parts........at least I couldn't find them. I was looking at Mustang units, but got hung up on the remote reservoir. It sits back far enough that I think an access in the floor might be under the seat.

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Change it out to a Bendix Treadlevac. Parts for those are easier to find. Used on many 1950's cars. Buick might have used them in 1955, 56.

5. az.rodder ray

az.rodder ray

Ken's Specialty Parts - Power in stock call 480-607-3714

6. Domino

Domino

Is there any way to use an aftermarket booster and master cylinder and keep the remote fill?

7. leon bee

leon bee

I think there is if one can keep staring at all the catalogs and web sites long enough. I have a 53 Roadmaster with the setup pictured above. Got lucky and have it working well enough by cleaning and hoping that it doesn't scare me much right now. A 53 isn't too good for mounting a firewall rig in, but that's what oughta happen.

In that pic at the top, see where the frame looks hacked just this side of the MC? It is. This is in Ralph Nader's book as a shining example of early automotive corporate malfeasance. When Buick realized their original setup, (their first year for power brakes, I think) was dangerous, they didn't do a recall. They just waited until customers brought the cars back in for something else then hacked that Moraine rig in there. This is all more or less true.

8. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

9. Domino

Domino

I have this installed. The back brakes work, but the front are requiring more attention. The front line is 5/16. I am swapping to a 3/16 to increase pressure.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. BJR

BJR

Changing the line size will not increase the pressure.

tb33anda3rd and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

firstinsteele likes this.