Register now to get rid of these ads!

'53 Bel Air Wheel hub question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clinkboat, Jun 26, 2011.

1. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

Hey...I'm new here but have used lots of info so far!!

I am rebuilding a '53 Bel Air 2 door post..the motor is out of a '54 Bel Air. Basically, I'm making 1 car out of 2 basket cases. I've rebuilt the motor--which was in incredible shape...took apart the suspensions from both cars...and now working on the frame.

I'm going all original. My question is....(and hopefully not too dumb)....would someone please explain the hubs made into the drums? How do you replace the drums or the hubs separately--or can you? Can you cut the hub rivets out of the drums and replace them?

Either way...here's some pics from the build!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      422.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      420.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      411.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      457.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      401.8 KB
      Views:
    • P1010204.JPG
      P1010204.JPG
      File size:
      95 KB
      Views:
  2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

as far as i know you cant separate them. engine looks great . better do a intro though. like to see more progress as you go.

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

You can cut the Rivets .I have a GM service manual for 49-54 that says so anyway ,plus i did it to sum 49 hubs and brake drums i had once on a tube axle ...

4. squirrel

squirrel

You can remove the rivets, I usually grind the end flat, center punch, drill a smaller hole and then punch them out. Be sure to support the area right around the rivet before removing them.

5. delraydon

delraydon

Cut the rivets and seperate the drum from the hub, easier said than done. You don't need to replace the rivets, once the wheels are installed.
    In later years the rivets were eleminated.

6. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

Thanks for the info. If I cut the rivets out and separate the two, can you get a replacement hub? Do they wear out of round?? So the nuts on the studs hold it all together once apart? The drums seem to be much easier to find.

7. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

The hubs have replaceable bearing races. As long as your new races fit tight the hubs should be fine. The drums can't fall off with the wheels in place. If the wheel falls off you won't be too concerned about what the drum's doing any ways.

8. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

Great...thanks. What's your internet site of choice to buy wheel parts like this? I've been using a place here in GA called Obsolete Chevy...but they don't always have everything. I appreciate all the help!!