Register now to get rid of these ads!

53-56 F100 True or False

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saratoga56, Sep 9, 2008.

1. saratoga56

saratoga56
    from NY

I read a rumor that 1 ton+ trucks use an axle that will drop 1/2 tons 2-3 inches. Any truth to this rumor?

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I would think only if the tires are smaller diameter or the axle mounts above the springs not like the 1/2 ton units mounted below the springs.

3. Never seen anything like that. Unless someone has confirmation otherwise it is just hearsay.

4. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

Taking spring leaves out will probably drop it a 1-2"

5. johnboy13

johnboy13

My grandpa told me years ago that 57-60 F100 axles would lower 53-56 F100 trucks by an inch with minor modifications due to the spring widths being different

6. It sounds reasonable, if the axle is shaped different for some reason, but will 1/2 ton hubs and so forth fit on it? It would be kinda pointless to lower the truck three inches, then have to put wheels on that are six inches taller and don't fit the fenders.

7. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

57-60 ford 1/2 ton front axle gives you a 1in drop.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Absolutely true. 'Course, your front wheels will be on the OUTSIDE of the fenders.

HAhahaaa

Just kidding, I have no idea, couldn't help myself, sorry for the useless post......

9. 56fordf100

56fordf100
    from Arkansas

Put a camaro or nova clip in it that will put it where you want it and drive and ride better too.

10. hemifarris

hemifarris

Better yet, install an Aspen/Volarie front suspension and still be able to adjust ride height with the simple turn of a wrench. This was my truck parked next to a friend's roadster in 1978...........Mike

Attached Files:

11. krooser

krooser

Better yet put on a MOPAR B Body parallel torsion bar kit from Dwight Bond out in Gibbon, NE...

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure about the drop but the five lug hubs and backing plates bolt rite on,also I dont think the axle is any wider. I converted a 56 3/4 to 1/2 ton.

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

--On a truck? Why spend the extra money? There's no other benefit on a truck other than looks and a little weight. I ran a Police car suspension on my '56, in 1978, w/no problems whatsoever. Do you run the Bond kit on your pickup?
    --I had considered a kit on my restored '65 hemi Belvedere 1 but stayed stock with added disc brakes.

14. krooser

krooser

Yep... got one under my '56. Bolt on install and pretty cheap, too. I think they are around $350.00 plus your donor car. Great front suspension...

15. Larry T

Larry T

16. dale48mrc

dale48mrc

My 54 has a MII frontend with air bags,with the bags at full height the lower valance is about 6 inches off the ground,deflated the valance sits about 2and half to 3 inches off the ground.If it wasn't for the horns on the Merc bumper,it would probaly lower.The horns are on the ground in the pic.
    [​IMG]
    There's so many options for these trucks when it comes to suspension choices.The choice is in probaly how much work you wanna do.My personal choice would be either clip options or a MII frontend if you really wanan get 'er in da weeds.The original style frontend is not the greatest when it comes to handling or ride,and if something breaks how hard is it to get parts at auto parts store when you're in B@%&hole,Montana.The modern suspensions also are far more adaptable to air ride.Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  17. hemifarris

hemifarris

If you look at my '56 in post #10 above, it's as low as yours,even without my torsion bars being cranked all the way down plus my front wheels weren't turned inward at the top.You won't need to bag it either.The ride was like a modern car. The Aspen/Volarie,Lebaron front suspension is a cleaner,easier installation as well..........just my opinion......Mike

18. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I heard...the axle from a panel truck will give the drop.

19. dale48mrc

dale48mrc

If you had noticed that I had mentioned either of the clip options.With a ride hieght as low as yours is you must have a bitch of a time with speed bumps, potholes,and driveways.That's why I prefer the air ride route,got the clearence when I need it and can lay it low whenever I want!

20. hemifarris

hemifarris

Cool........I guess I was lucky. Over 19,000 miles in 6 years and never bottomed out. The tires never wore funny because of alignment at that constant lowered height either.Like I mentioned with the picture of my '56, that was back in the late 70's when I did it...Take care

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  21. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Sorry Boys,

Though a 1 ton truck axle will bolt under a 1/2 ton truck the King pins are way bigger & the over all size of the axle is larger so bushing down the king pin hole to adapt.

I own a 1 ton F~350 & a 1/2 ton F~100. They dont innerchange.

Been running a 4" Mor Drop in my F~100 for almost 15 years, You guys can have the clip's a Mopar front ends.... I'll stay with my Solid axle !

22. hemifarris

hemifarris

I guess I need to adhere to my signature.......:)
    "saratoga56"..... If you're looking to stay traditional, go to roadsters.com and click onto dropped I-beam axles. Scroll down and you'll find the F-100 dropped axles.His workmanship is spectacular and his drops are not distorted at all. The company is owned by Dave Mann, who is a H.A.M.B. member. His phone number is 602-233-8400......Mike

23. 56fordf100

56fordf100
    from Arkansas

I was wondering can you not flip the axle for a 2 to 4 in drop. One of my 56s has a camaro clip and rear axle. The axle is between the springs and the frame like an axle flip kit on some newer trucks. All I did was get some new plates to weld to the bottom of the axle. Speedway has them.

Also Mike you old black 56 is really nice in that picture, wish mine looked that good.

24. Rem

Rem

With the Mor Drop, I guess you have to go to a 4" drop to get the steering tie rod to clear above the spring instead of below?

25. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

my dad has a 55 and he flipped the axle on top of the springs and took a few springs out too many actually we have to put more in to make it a lil stiffer but on the front axle on the rear hanger he changed how they mount [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  26. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Whatever that meens, Just Cus i know they dont interchange you need to call me an idiot ?

No, On the 4" drop it put the steering tie rod right at the spring. We had to build new dropped steering arms to go under the spring.

Plus with a 389 Pontiac the oil pan was right in the way of the steering arm over the spring.